Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Draining My Cyst

thecrazyfilipino - Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:27 am

This is rather embarrassing, but after reading a few posts about this topic I just want to get feedback for my own situation.

I have a cyst on my butt and it's painful when I sit. I tried putting hot compresses on it in order to have it drain but so far everything I've done has been unsuccessful. So I took it upon myself to attempt to drain it.

I got a needle and boiled it in salt water for about 30 minutes. I got a bowl of hot salt water and clean cloth and a cup of hydrogen peroxide.

I put a hot compress on it for about 5 minutes until I could feel the center of the pocket and I discovered that the cyst is in sections. It's about the size of a quarter. I pricked 3 holes in different areas of the cyst and drained what I could. What drained appeared to be a clear, thick, bloody substance and I was surprised that I didn't see any pus. It's still there, I don't believe I opened up all the sections to it, but I was tired of pricking myself.

After I was done I washed it with salt water, wiped it down with a cotton ball drenched in peroxide and applied an anti-biotic ointment to it and loosely put 2 band aids on it so that it could drain and that the band aids would catch most of the liquid.

I keep reading about the possibility of getting a staph infection from this and I want to know how much am I at risk? Is there anything I should have done differently or could do? I didn't want to go to the doctor because it's embarrassing and if I could drain it myself I don't see a point in letting a doctor doing it. I think I was being careful. Any thoughts?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:57 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Well, for a do-it-yourself project I think you did it as well as anyone possibly could. Unfortunately, too many people find certain areas of the body embarassing (trust me, the doctor has seen everything and really doesn't care, just wants you to be OK), and sometimes this can result in infection or other damage. You did this, as I said, as well and carefully as a layman could, but it's not going to be complete, and so not likely to resolve on its own, although you may have gotten a little temporary relief from the draining you did. What came out, by the way, was a form of pus. Blood and lymph, the main constituents of pus, often come out clear and blood-streaked as you describe. That's often what you'll find in a cyst or abcess. There's more, though, and you're really better off letting a professional finish the job and make certain you don't have (or develop) a more severe infection. Having done this yourself, even though you were very careful, still places you at greater risk of bacterial infection, simply because when you pierce an encapsulated infection, you turn loose bacteria that's walled off in there, and it may travel into the bloodstream, even though a lot of it drains out. Any that makes it into the bloodstream can grow and go systemic on you. It only takes one or two surviving bacteria to start the cycle all over again. Also, you really need to follow up with antibiotics to kill them off.

I hope you'll see a doctor about this, have it drained by someone actually trained to do this sort of thing, and who can also prescribe an antibiotic to help keep infection from spreading, even as it kills the localized remainder.

By the way, cysts and abcesses in this area are extremely common, and most doctors, in the course of treating abcesses alone, have usually seen many in this location -- not to mention a lot more peculiar stuff you can't even imagine. It's part of being a doctor, nurse or medic.

Best of luck to you with this, and please follow up with us as needed.

|