Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: warts near the genitals

stjohnston1984 - Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:32 pm

I have warts that I thought were genital warts on my inner thighs, and recently found out from my OB-GYN that they are not "genital warts", but regular warts located near (not ON) the genitals. She did a treatment with a type of acid (I can't remember what kind), and suggested that I see a dermatologist to have them frozen off, which I did recently (about two weeks ago). The warts have fallen off, but the area is still healing. My question is, how long until it's safe to have sex again? Also, even though these aren't "genital" warts, do they spread the same way? I didn't think of asking the dermatologist until I had left the office. The only answers I've seen so far are "practice abstinence", but that really doesn't help me, I don't want to practice abstinence for the rest of my life! :)

One more thing, I've been reading that the basic treatments only remove the surface warts but don't kill the virus and thus leave the area still contagious (don't know if I'm using the right wording, sorry!), is this the same for freezing? If these warts return, what is the most efficient way of getting rid of them once and for all (I know that the virus that causes warts stays in the body indefinitely, so I suppose the question shouldn't be "once and for all" but more a good chance at once and for all)? Would it be laser treatments or would having them cauterized be as effective?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:48 pm

Various treatments are available and all are effective for certain warts. Often it is just a personal choice matter of which method the doctor prefers. Sometimes they return but usually the various treatments result in their eradication. Regular run-of-the-mill warts are contagious but not specifically sexually. Even though they are contagious, they don't spread all that easily person-to-person. How easily one gets warts is often related to the immune system. You should not have to abstain for life and probably not at all unless the partner is immune compromised and worried about getting the virus.

You are correct that the virus stays in your body but it is not contagious when there is no active wart present.

Best wishes

|