Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Supraclavicular swollen lymph nodes

silkenhands - Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:01 pm

supraclavicular swollen lymph nodes, I believe this is what I have an issue with. It’s a gland just above my collarbone on the left that is swollen and tender to the touch. This has never happened before. I just noticed it tonight, and earlier today I developed some cold symptoms. Runny nose, itchy throat, headache. I’m also tired but none of these symptoms are bad. I did have a flu shot 2 ½ days ago…could this be the cause. Or is this something to worry about?
 silkenhands - Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:17 am

Update: I did go on to develop a short lived cold....about four days... and a cold sore on my lip.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:45 pm

Lymph nodes enlargement can occur due to many causes: of them infections and inflammation in the area drained by them.

Following infection or inflammation lymph nodes become enlarged, painful, and tender; they then regress in size but never disappear upon recovery. So they usually remain palpable but less than 1cm, soft and mobile.

Lymph nodes that continue to grow in serial clinical examination are alarming and should be properly investigated. The same is applied to nodes with abnormal characters like being hard, fixed or of considerably large size as well as those of uncommonly involved site.

Infections and inflammation in the upper respiratory tract and the oral cavity result in enlarged lymph nodes mainly those felt on both sides of the neck. They are commonly seen in the submandibular and the cervical group of lymph nodes.

Supraclavicular lymph node enlargement is not commonly seen to be enlarged after infection in these areas although possible.

What you felt might be also a lower cervical lymph node, a thyroid or just a fat tissue. The supraclavicular nodes are felt just above the inner one third of the clavicle in the supracalvicular fossa.
It commonly enlarges due to problems (more seen in malignant diseases) in the lung or upper GIT, and the breast.

So, its enlargement mandates more meticulous investigations.

A thorough history and direct clinical examination are essential.
I would advise you to follow up with your doctor.
Please keep us updated.

|