News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: itchy urethra no discharge

Geoverge - Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:49 am

About a month or so ago I had unprotected sex with a friend of mine who had been tested and so had I and we both were deemed alright also I had protected sex with another friend this past weekend who was a virgin, but now I am feeling a slight itch in my urethra every now and then, I don't feel any pain what so ever but just a slight itch every once in a while. I haven't experienced a discharge really except for one morning I forced a little liquid out with my fingers. I thought this could be a UTI because I am urinating a decent amount.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:47 am

User avatar Hello,

This is probably due to urethritis. The condition occurs due to many causes that may be or may not be related to your sexual activity due to infection with bacteria, viruses or fungal infection. Most of cases however are due to infections with bacteria (Ecoli) that ascend through the urethral meatus (through intercourse or local contamination). Having urethral discharge makes exclusion of STDs as well as other infectious diseases essential.

These symptoms could be also due to a urethritis caused by trauma or chemical irritants. There is itching in the majority of cases. Avoiding the causing substance is the mainstay of prevention in addition to medications prescribed by your doctor.

Urine analysis, urine culture and exclusion of STDs are essential for the diagnosis.
So, I advise you to follow up with your doctor, he will prescribe the appropriate treatment based on clinical examination and investigations results.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here