Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Bone scan showed hot in my forehead and I am + for MRSA.

annabellie - Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:13 am

I have been battling MRSA since August in my left ankle. I originally got MRSA there last September (2007) after surgery. It came back from the inside with no known cause. I was just tested in my nose 2 weeks ago after a couple of months of suffering with terrible bloody discharges of nasty stuff and bloody pillow cases etc. In 2 days the doctors office called and said my culture came back positive. I was put on a cream antibiotic I put up my nose for 5 days 2xdaily. I just finished my 3rd round of doxycycline.

Anyway, because my WBC and another count was still up I had a bone scan done. Right between my eyes showed up hot, and the heel bone of my left foot. I was told my left foot is normal because of the surgery I had a year ago. The spot between my eyes over my sinuses they are going to just ignore, that isn't really what they were to be looking at I think. One of the doctors is a foot surgeon and the new one is a referral and is an infectious disease specialist.

The problem is I can't contine to function like this. Should I go to see my neurologist who I trust and has treated me through my headaches and is still treating me or go to my sinus doctor who did nose widening surgery this spring without coming near the bone that is a hot spot. Or anything else I am missin?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:31 pm

I would be interested to see what the infectious disease physician says about the recurrent MRSA. About 50% of colonizers of MRSA show eradication with topical mupirocin but recurrence is common.

With the bone scan showing a spot between the eyes has your physician offered any suggestions of cause.

The neurologist may offer some suggestions regarding the bone scan spot on the head.

Keep us posted.
 annabellie - Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:00 am

The neurologist said the infectious disease doctor knew more than he did about the bone scan so he did nothing about it just like the other doctor. The only person who seemed concerned about it was the radiologist who did the scan or whatever the title of the person was. I am now on my 4th week of Vancomycin 2g in 200 ml in an infusion every 24 hrs by PICC line. That should take care of the bone scan hot spot I should think. But the MRSA on my ankle is not going away.

QUESTION NOW IS should I let them go in and cut out the MRSA area and see if it will heal from the inside out with clean tissue, or is the risk of just spreading the MRSA worse? I have had this MRSA this around since Aug. and I have had 3 or 4 rounds of oral antibiotics and 4 weeks of IV antibiotics.

I am allergic to sulfa drugs. and I take cortisteroids and have horrible tendon reactions to levaquin. I didn't know what the reason I felt like someone was, to quote me at the time, "trying to pull my tendons out of my toes with a pliers," was until the black box warning came out for the levaquin family.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated since I really don't see any alternatives.

|