News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: red painful spots on head of penis

dazedfrog - Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:10 pm

25 year old male.i woke up about 2 days ago and noticed some sensitivity on the head of my penis.there were 3 really small red dots (not really bumps) close together that were causing the irritation.the next day they were a little bigger then scabed over.today the scabs came off in the shower and it's fairly painful now.there was no white puss or oozing of any kind.i havent had sex in about 2 weeks and have had only one partner in the past year that i'm about 99% sure is clean,but you never know.is this something i should be concerned with cuz i've never heard of an std like that.thanks in advance.

p.s i do have excema
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:44 pm

User avatar Hello,

It is difficult to tell what these bumps could be without direct clinical examination.
However, these bumps could be due to dermatitis (since you have eczema, atopic dermatitis).
Dermatitis is referred to different types of skin rashes or bumps that are caused by infections, allergies, and irritants. The severity of the rash ranges from mild to severe according to the cause. There might be itching on many cases.

Contact dermatitis occurs due to skin contact with a substance that causes an allergic reaction (allergic contact dermatitis) or with an irritant substances (irritant contact dermatitis). There are many causes for contact dermatitis some involve irritants such as soaps, certain creams and some may be due to allergy.

Avoiding the causing substance is the mainstay of prevention in addition to medications prescribed by your doctor. Secondary bacterial infection in the damaged skin from scratching is easy in this area, so avoid scratching and keep it clean.

Another cause that should be excluded is Herpes simplex, which is one of the sexually transmitted disease. Genital herpes is a very common disease caused by Herpes virus type2. It spreads by direct contact and results in small, very painful blisters (fluid is inside the lesion) on the penis and other genital areas, causing irritation, itching, and discharge. The sores turns into crust, that scab and heal in about 3 weeks. Exclusion of other STDs is essential if it is proved to be due to herpes infection.

Treatment is based on the underlying the cause. Keeping the skin dry and clean is very important.

Direct clinical examination is essential. So, I advise you to follow up with your doctor.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here