News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Chlamydia? it burns but stops with a lot of water

ak1 - Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:48 am

I have had a slight burning sensation when i urinate for about a week. i am a little bit of a heavy drinker and i also have had unprotected sex in the past two weeks. I decided to stop drinking for a few days and start drinking water and cranberry juice for the past 3 days.
i only get a burning sensation in the morning when i urinate now. during the day, after drinking so much water i urinate every 40 minutes, i get no burning sensation. occasionally there is a slight itch in the tip of my penis though. the next morning the slight burning returns until the second time i urinate after drinking more water. IS this Chlamydia, ghonnorea, or just an infection i can get rid of with more water?

thank you
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:55 pm

User avatar Hello,

This is probably due to urethritis. The majority of cases are due to infections with bacteria (Ecoli) that ascend through the urethral meatus (through intercourse or local contamination). However, individuals at risk (multiple sexual partners) should be investigated for sexually transmitted disease like Chlamydia or gonorrhea. Patients usually have burning micturition and itching that is more intense early in the morning. Discharge per urethra is common too especially with gonorrhea.

Making the urine more diluted would lessen the dysuria as concentrated urine alone would result in dysuria.

These symptoms could be also due to a urethritis caused by trauma or chemical irritants. There is itching in the majority of cases. Avoiding the causing substance is the mainstay of prevention in addition to medications prescribed by your doctor.

Urine analysis, urine culture and exclusion of STDs are essential for the diagnosis.
So, I advise you to follow up with your doctor, he will prescribe the appropriate treatment based on clinical examination and investigations results.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here