Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Staph Gram Positive in Blood of a minor

fierra2000 - Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:49 am

My friend's daughter was given a diagnosis of (Staph Gram Positive in the blood) she is in the hospital and presently showing signs of kidney failure and high fever. This is obviously a very sensitive matter and I want to know what her chances for a cure are (if they are any) and what this would mean for his daughter in the long run. I'm aware that the response to this question may not be something I want to hear but I wish to know the thruth. The most we've gotten from her doctors is the name of the infection and so far noone has explained. Is she at risk of dying? what are her odds considering her age (15yrs) and present health condition? If she survives will she live with the desease? We believe she might have contracted the infection after an abortion she had two months ago. Please help answer some of the questions that desperately need answers and thank oyu in advance for taking the time to consider my case..
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:43 pm

Sorry for the delay in the reply.
Definitely this is a serious situation and is known as septicemia. Septicemia is a life-threatening infection that arises when infectious organisms travel inside the blood to cause infections throughout the body. Different organs can be affected including the lungs, abdominal organs, and the kidney as well as central nervous system (meningitis).

Septicemia results in fever and chills. The bacteria or their toxins results in septic shock in the form of hypotension, rapid heart rate, pallor, respiratory difficulties, excess sweating and renal shutdown. Mortality rate may exceed 50% if no early diagnosis and prompt treatment of the patient occurs. Prompt initiation of antibiotic would minimize the mortality rate, the degree of organ damage and the presence of comorbidity would affect her prognosis.

Staphylococcus aureus (gram positive) is not the commonest organism responsible for septic shocks (gram negatives are more common), but is usually seen after interventional procedures.

Hospitalization, IV antibiotics and IV fluids are important parts of the treatment. Specific antibiotic administration would improve her prognosis and excluding affection of the heart is essential which would make prognosis worse.

Hope you find this information useful.
Please keep us updated.

|