News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Herpes and pregnancy

M-Jay - Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:37 am

I was diagnosed with Herpes Type 1 in 2005 and since my initial treatment have only had one other mild outbreak. I am currently trying to conceive and am worried about the Herpes affecting this. Could the Herpes have affected my fertility in any way and is there anything I can do to prevent any outbreaks when I conceive?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:51 pm

User avatar Hello,
I assume you mean that you have contracted the virus genitally.
Usually the initial infectious outbreak is the most severe; later they are often milder and may be infrequent. You may not have a problem at all during pregnancy and it will not affect your ability to conceive. If you get an active genital outbreak near the time of delivery, the baby is often taken by cesarean section but if there is no active lesion a vaginal delivery can usually be accomplished. Just be sure your attending doctor is aware of your history.

I know of no sure way to prevent this but stress sometimes aggravates it so try to keep yourself as stress-free as possible. Use relaxation exercises, meditation, yoga, etc.

Best wishes
 vinum33 - Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:23 am

I have had hsv2 (vaginal) since october 2007 and have had frequent outbreaks. I just gave birth for the first time on June 27th, 2009, to a herpes-free baby boy. I actually had to advise my doctor to deliver the baby by c-section. I did not appear to have an outbreak but I could feel a hard bump under the skin forming. I am glad that we made that decision because I had the outbreak two days later. My son is almost 6mos and my husband and I are expecting again. I am about five weeks into my pregnany and excited. My only concern is having multiple c-sections in one year but that is a conern that I will take up with my obgyn. Don't let the disease scare you. Enjoy your pregnancy, monitor your body, and direct every concern (big or small) to your doctor.

p.s.
Sometime during the last six or four weeks before my due date my doctor had me take valtrex to reduce the appearance of an outbreak.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here