News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: What to do if I found a syringe in my house.

worrywart29 - Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:22 am

Not long ago my roomate found a syringe in our washing machine. It probably belonged to my other roomates boyfriend who is an meth addict. My roomate found the syringe, she took it out of the washing machine placed it in a plastic baggy and put in on the ledge of the stairs that lead to the basement. Not sure what to do, I sprayed a one to ten percent solution of bleach water on the inside and outside of the washing machine and on the ledge where she placed the needle. I want to know if this was enough to kill any viruses that might have transmitted from the needle to any surface.There was no visible blood on the needle but I'm not sure if invisible amounts of blood got spread from surface to surface. I just want to make sure I contain any contamination. Also, I wanted to know if bleach would actually kill hepatitis, I know it kills hiv, not sure about the former.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:43 am

User avatar Hello,
The only risk to you would be if you or someone else were stuck by the syringe. Just the presence of it is not a danger and the virus cannot be transmitted easily outside of deep body fluid contact (sex or blood). You should be fine unless skin was penetrated. It should be disposed of in a sharps container so nobody will accidentally get stuck.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here