Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Brown bumps on scrotum.

sorandom - Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:38 am

In the last couple months or so I've developed about 15 or so closely grouped small bumps on my scrotum at the base of my penis. They are brown/flesh in color and range from half a mm to about 2mm in size. I have scratched one off and it bled but didnt reappear. They don't hurt or itch and don't seem to really change in shape or size. They don't look like warts but they don't look like fordyce spots look in pictures. I've been with the same girl for a year and she hasnt had anything appear in her genital area.

Thank you for your time.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:32 am

It is difficult to tell what these bumps could be without direct clinical examination.
However, these bumps could be due to dermatitis. Dermatitis is referred to different types of skin rashes that are caused by infections, allergies, and irritants. The severity of the rash ranges from mild to severe according to the cause. There might be itching on many cases.

Contact dermatitis occurs due to skin contact with a substance that causes an allergic reaction (allergic contact dermatitis) or with an irritant substances (irritant contact dermatitis). There are many causes for contact dermatitis some involve irritants such as soaps, certain creams and some may be due to allergy.
Avoiding the causing substance is the mainstay of prevention in addition to medications prescribed by your doctor.

Another likely cause is Inflammation of the Hair follicles or the sebaceous (sweat) glands. They may be visible as small nodules or might only be felt as small lumps in the skin. They are yellow/black or red nodules on the hair shafts in the inguinal region. Nodules are often on the scrotum and occasionally on the base of the shaft of the penis. They may contain pus in them.

- Friction and fungus (less likely) can also be the causes of these symptoms although itching is a common symptom. Skin rubbing against skin generates heat and sweat; they in turn lead to redness and painful itchy patches.
Obese and active people are more susceptible.

Direct clinical examination is essential. So, I advise you to follow up with your doctor.
Please keep us updated.
 pepple1960 - Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:11 pm

hi, I had a bump on my butt and i bust the first one and it bleed and then another one appeared. i is sore. what can i do?

|