Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Ear Cartilage Piercing

karen o - Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:00 pm

I got the cartilage of my right ear pierced a week ago. Everything was fine until I rinsed my hair in the shower and some water (and hair product) got in the piercing. After the shower I rinsed the piercing off with the aftercare product the piercer gave me.

Today (three days after the shower incident) I woke up and the right side of my body feels different. It feels like its tired (from fighting and infection?) For example my throat on the right side of my body feels scratchy, my right nostril was congested and my right wrist feels stiff.

There's no pus coming from the piercing site, it's not red but it is slightly swollen. I would like to know if I have an infection or are the symptoms caused from my body fighting the infection.

Thank You.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:19 pm

User avatar Hi there -

It does sound as though something is infected (the earlobe?) and while infections do generally tend to be felt generally rather than on one side of the body, if the lymph glands, which are largely affected by gravity, are involved, then this could explain the "tired" sensation on your right side, although it's a bit unusual.

If the swelling and the right-sided symptoms don't resolve in a day or two (since you seem to have been doing everything according to the book) then you'll need to see a healthcare provider, who may want to test you for a bacterial infection and perhaps prescribe an antibiotic. Hopefully by now things have already started to improve.

Please follow up with us as needed.

|