Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Meningoencephalitis

klick28 - Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:51 pm

Hello
first off i'd like to introduce myself seeing as i am new here
i am 18 years old, and two years ago was diagnosed with Meningoencephalitis

the doctor's told me that it was no longer in my system, however i was wondering if that was possible. During the last 6-10 months or so, i have been extremely tired, and resting does little to help. I find myself waking up from 12 hours of sleep and still feeling exhausted. I experience joint pains and my muscles are constantly "tired", even after resting. Could this be the meningoencephalitis? Or is it something unrelated?

thank you
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:06 pm

I hate to answer a question with more questions, but sometimes that's part of the deal. It is in this case, because there are so many types and causes of meningoencephalitis, and some are more likely than others to recur. We therefore need to know what sort of infection you had, if it was viral, bacterial or amoebic in origin. The last one, parasitically caused, can sometimes recur because the causative organism is better at "hiding." Viral types usually run their course, although it can be a fairly long one. Bacterial ones are resolved when the bacteria are all killed.

If you can provide this important detail, I'll at least be able to hazard a guess at what's going on. In any case you should check in with your doctor because these symptoms should be addressed even if the original problem has truly gone away.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.

|