News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: sex when both have HSV-2

bt1959 - Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:39 pm

Everything I've found so far talks about protecting an uninfected partner. What about if both partners have HSV-2 ? Can we still partake in oral sex like we did before this or not ?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:23 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is possible to transfer the virus to the mouth through oral sex so if you want to avoid such complications you should be cautious about oral sex, perhaps using a condom. This variety of herpes prefers the genitals but can be spread to the mouth as well.

Best wishes.
 bt1959 - Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:24 pm

A follow up to the original question. At initial infection my partner had effects both vaginally and orally. Since she was infected already both locations, does it still have an affect on whether we can have oral sex now ? Once an area is infected, can it be re-infected, or is the damage already done and it doesn't matter anymore ?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:33 pm

User avatar Hello,
You are correct in assuming that the "damage has been done" as far as she is concerned, being infected both routes, and reinfection would not happen unless you did not have the oral form and were to acquire it through oral sex with your partner. Outbreaks can occur in isolation or in clusters but it would not be due to a new infection transferred between you.

Best wishes.
 bt1959 - Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:17 am

Your last response was a little complicated for me. Can she be re-infected from oral sex, or not since she was already infected orally once ? What are my chances getting orally infected since I wasn't initially ? We both only have HSV-2, neither have HSV-1.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here