News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Feels much worse than a flu. Sore eyes, joint pains

adio - Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:05 pm

So ive been sick for the last 3 days now. I was at the Dr yesterday and he gave me a shot of antibiotics and a 2 day prescription. Im in Korea so what these drugs are exactly im not sure. (lived here for about 1 year)

My symptoms:
Fever that comes and goes, cold and hot flushes.
Joint pain all over, even muscle pain in my abdomen region and my back.
Sore eyes, when i move my eyes around from left to right, top to bottom it hurts incredibly. and a discomfort toward bright light.
Sore throat - very dry cough and difficulty taking deep breaths.

The DR said it was just a cold. But ive had colds before. This feels so much worse, never for so long and sever have i had a cold like this.

am i just being paranoid?

Thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:13 pm

User avatar Hi there -

No, you're not being paranoid, but you probably have something other than a cold, too, and besides, one doesn't treat a cold with antibiotics. It does sound viral, however, and there are varieties of flu that can make one feel absolutely horrible. One of the hallmarks of influenza is body aches such as you describe. The eye pain also is often reported (it also can occur with some sinus infections, which may be what your doctor meant by a "cold" and is treatable with anbtiotics). This could be flu with an opportunistic sinus infection, or perhaps a severe sinus infection with flu-like symptoms.

Please let us know how things go. Best of luck to you.
 adio - Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:16 am

thanks very much. well im feeling much better now after about 4 days of being sick. still have a bit of a flemmy cough and a scratchy cough but its all back to normal now.

thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:41 pm

User avatar Hi -

I'm so glad you're feeling better now. The productive cough is a common after-effect of upper respiratory infections, so hopefully that will clear up soon.

Good luck to you. Stay healthy.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here