Forum Name: AIDS

Question: HIV Oral transmission/Sore throat symptoms

worrywell - Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:09 am

I recently had a sexual encounter with a high risk woman of unknown sero status. It included Protected vaginal sex and unprotected cunnilingus. I have a wisdom tooth that is a little sore and secretes something like puss at times(not very noticably). But im really worried about the possibility of being infected with HIV. I Developed a sore throat the day after the incident with mild pain. The pain went away completely in 5 days but there is still some swelling in my throat after 15 days.
Is it possible for HIV symptoms to appear so soon?
Could it be any other STD? (im pretty convinced its an STD)
Could i be over reacting?
This is the first time i had a casual sexual encounter.
Please reply. Im worrying myself sick.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:31 pm

User avatar Hi there -

First, HIV itself rarely has symptoms and when there are symptoms they usually resemble a relatively mild, passing virus (like a "touch" of flu); AIDS is where the symptoms show up, and they can be virtually anything, but there are some characteristic ones that seem to be far more common. However, even this, if it were to show up at all, would take 3-6 weeks to manifest, as the body begins to form antibodies to the virus.

Statistically, odds are against your actually having contracted HIV via the route you traveled, but you're certainly right to be concerned anyway; Why run the risk?

It is always possible to contract an STD or just some random infection (almost anything can be sexually transmitted -- even the common cold; some things, however are most often or only transmitted that way). Again, you're right to be concerned, and hopefully you'll draw the most useful lessons from this experience. (Unfortunately, a lot of people, regardless of the risk they run, once they discover they've "survived" it, gain confidence in taking risks, which is extremely unwise).

For your peace of mind and general health, you should be tested for HIV now that this encounter has taken place. The infection you have could be an STD or could be a random viral or bacterial infection contracted from your partner or just from being out and about at this time of year. Either way, it will likely require the taking of a culture and perhaps treatment, if only symptomatic. The reason I say "anything" could be contracted this way is that people who are indiscreet are often also careless about personal hygeine, which means the problem, if it is something that was actually "caught" from your consort, could simply be the equivalent of having licked the bottom of a shoe. You don't know where it's been, and anything could be on (in) it.

So go see a doctor or go to a clinic. Get yourself tested for HIV, just as anyone who's had an unprotected and relatively anyonymous sexual encounter, and have it followed up at the recommended intervals, since it usually requires more than one test to be certain, as the disease develops rather slowly.

Then, during that same visit, have your throat cultured for whatever might be growing in there. If there's nothing then it's a random virus and if so, treat it symptomatically. You could get away with something as simple as strep throat or the flu. If it's an STD, find out exactly what, and if it's one that will be staying with you (herpes is one of those), please be considerate and either let future partners know about it or at the very least take precautions to protect others as well as yourself.

As for HIV, statistically it's unlikely in this case, but it's still up there with Russian roulette in terms of the consequences. Get tested, be careful, take care of yourself and look out for others as well. Not a sermon -- a health issue.

Please follow up with us as needed. I hope this is helpful.

|