Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Are there eye drops to control "Jaundice Eye"?

babyhuey - Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:59 pm

I've been diagnosed with acute hepatitis B, and a few weeks into the infection bilirubin levels are in the 11-14 range. The jaundice is a little harsh-looking. Is there a cosmetic sort of treatment for the yellowing of the eyes? I think I've been frightening people.
 Dr. Ramamurthy M G - Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:24 pm

Hi, as you are aware the yellowish eyes/skin/urine are all the manifestations of the jaundice, which is nothing but a liver disease where because of the malfunction in the liver laboratory ,the increased level of bilirubin is seen in the blood. The same gets deposited in the white of the eye-the sclera, the layers of the skin , the urine and hence the unwanted yellow colour. Once the jaundice recovers, the bilirubin level comesdown automatically and everything changes to normal. There are no suggested eye drops available but I suggest you to take plenty of fluids, good amount of physical rest, restrict your fatty diet including non-veg, where the recovery can be faster. You can use tinted goggles to cover your jaundiced eyes, if you want. Thanks, Dr.Ramamurrthy M G

|