News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Watery diarrhea & leg cramps

place - Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:29 am

I don't know if this is a virus or if it is food poisoning.I have had watery diarrhea & leg cramps for the past 4 days. I do not have a fever. No one else in my household is ill. The only item I ate that would exclude me from everyone else was mayonnasie. It was refrigerated and had not expired. However, it had a clear layer of gook on top of it (which is what mayo looks like after not being sealed with the lid in the refrigerator). I also had canned albacore tuna.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:56 pm

User avatar Hello,
Most acute diarrhea (less than 14 days) is self limiting. Replenishing fluids and electrolytes is mainstay of therapy. Traditionally, we also suggest a BRAT diet until stool becomes more formed and regular. BRAT = Bananas Rice Applesauce Toast

As far of cause of acute infectious diarrhea cases, in the developed world, the majority are caused by viruses and sometimes bacteria and least due to protozoa.

It is important to ascertain the quality and quantity (ie the severity) of the diarrhea to determine whether to test and treat the infection. Is there mucus (white stringy material) or blood in the stool. How often is the diarrhea. How many days.

Also: is there any fever, any signs of dehydration. What is the general health status of the sick person. How old are they. Answers to these questions will help our approach to treatment and if the patient needs hospitalization.

If symptoms worsen or do not improve or if any doubt about what to do, then see a physician for history and physical exam.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here