News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   



Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: Application of Benzyl Benzoate (for Scabies) on genitals?

 Falcone - Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:38 pm

Hi there,

I am in my early 20s and I have been itching around my upper back, waistline, stomach, legs, penis, arms etc, for around 2.5 months, especially and intensely so when in contact with warm water (my face neck and scalp are also itchy - although I have heard these wouldnt be affected my scabies in adults).

Anyway my doctor suggested it would be Scabies (I think largely due to the small sores on my wrists and in between my fingers) and prescribed the topical lotion Benzyl Benzoate.

The lotion suggests applying from the next down, however avoiding mucous menbranes (however amongst the usualy such as..mouth etc, it says genitals)/

However my penis has small sores on it and is perhaps the most uncomfortably itchy part of my body affected - espeically behind the foreskin/head of the penis.

Therefore I was wondering, it seems like I couldnt beat the infection without applying to my genitals, however is it safe to do so?

Thank you in advance.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:25 pm

User avatar Hello,
According to this product's directions, you can use on the genitalia but avoid the opening on the penis (where urine comes out) as it may cause irritation. The lotion or cream is applied from head to toe except eyes,nose, and mouth (any mucosal surface) and left on for 24 hours then rinsed off with warm water. A second application is used as needed for severe cases.

Let us know how things turn out.
 Falcone - Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:07 pm

Thank you for the reply. Sorry I hadn't logged on sooner.

Alot of the itching occurs behind the foreskin, and some on the head - so this will be okay as long as It doesn't enter the opening?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:44 pm

User avatar Hello,
Yes. If in doubt call your family physician for confirmation.
All the best to you.


Check a doctor's response to similar questions


advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application


 advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)



Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2016
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.