Forum Name: AIDS

Question: Infected Gland

HB23 - Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:38 pm

I am a 27 year old female and about 3 months ago I received oral sex. A couple days later I started feeling like I may be getting a bladder infection or a herpes outbreak (which I was diagnosed with about 7 years ago). I also was having inflammed hemrroids which I often have problems with. I went to the doctor and he said my hemrroids were inflammed but I also had an infected vaginal gland in the area between my vagina and anas, (not sure if this is a bartholin gland). He prescribed me antibiotics (flagyl) and it cleared up right away. Now I am wondering if I should be conceerned about HIV. A couple weeks before the oral sex I was having some problems with my period and they had done a pap smear. Now I am concerned that I had open cuts from that and my hemrroids which may have allowed salive to enter and caused my infected gland and may have caused HIV infection. I did not come in to contact wirh semen at all. When reading other inquires I noticed you said HIV has been spread through receptive fellatio and incertive cunnilingus. What does this mean? IF I donate blood will they tell me if I have something and is 3 months too early to test? Should I be concerned at all? Thank you for your prompt response.
 pokey - Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:21 pm

you can not get aids that way, don't worry
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:00 pm

Please note that the first response to your mail was not posted by a member of the medical crew at this website. I shall give you the possibilities in respect of the questions you have raised.

You received oral sex (cunninglingus) from a partner at a time when you had bleeding or infected lesions around the anogenital region. You wish to know if you should be concerned about the possibility of contracting HIV.

Technically, in cunninglingus, it is possible to spread HIV to the receptive partner if your partner is HIV positive and had a bleeding lesion in his mouth or tongue which made contact, directly or through blood-stained saliva, with any open or bleeding lesions on your genitalia or anal region.

You should be concerned if your partner’s HIV status is unknown and he had a bleeding lesion in his mouth or tongue which made contact, directly or through blood-stained saliva, with any open or bleeding lesions on your genitalia or anal region.

Blood, semen, and vaginal fluids of infected persons contain HIV virus. The virus in an infected person’s saliva is usually in very low quantities not enough to infect another person and evidence suggests that saliva has protective factors that inactivate HIV when the virus comes into contact with it.

It is possible that HIV could be transmitted by saliva in the absence of bleeding lesions, but available statistics and studies suggest that it does not happen. The degree of risk is determined by the amount of saliva and the presence of open or bleeding lesions as stated earlier.

If you are worried, a blood test for HIV is the mainstay of diagnosis for the disease and will give you peace of mind. Three months is a good interval within which to undergo the test, but you must request for it or give your consent.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

|