Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Recurring Cyst Near My Mastiod Bone

MiszMeh757 - Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:28 pm

Hi ,
At the end of october after having a root canal that took 3 weeks,At which point i found i had a small scrap behind my ear & i started getting a cyst right behind my ear ,it was so big it went from down near my lobe up to my mastiod bone. Very painful & it would get bigger and smaller. I went to the doctor and she put me on a high dosage of Cylindamycin [i was on some for my root canal]. and Two weeks passed and the cylindamycin didnt do anything & i went to the ER, they said i had cellulitis and drained it. Well it healed up , but started getting bigger again! So i went to the Doctor, She has put me on ciproflaxin, she test me for MRSA, came back negative. Now 2 days ago, i have what feels like another cyst but on my lymph node in my neck, very painful. The ciproflaxin isnt helping me at all expect making me feel sick and thristy. My doctor cannot think of what it could be. Any ideas Please?

If it helps;
In 2004 , i was admitted to the hospital for Renal failure, had mono & strep at the same time. They did a biopsy on my kidney. They thought it might be lupus, but got more negative test then postive. I still cannot handle Milk, orange juice, or anything with alot of calcium or phosphates.
In the last 3 months ;
Been to the ER 3 times, First to have my cyst drained [ no test were ran] , then un packed. Two weeks later i had to go 2 the hospital for HORRIBLE kidney pains & non stop throwing up [ this is a usally thing for me, if my kidneys hurt, i cant stop throwing up until i get a IV , even if i don't eat or drink for 2 hours I have been given medicine that is supposed to help with nausea but i throw it right up.] And at that point they said i had a UTI which spread to my kidneys & trichomoniasis [ i have one sexual partner]
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:36 pm

Some diagnoses to consider:
1. mastoiditis - an infection of the mastoid process. Signs and Symptoms include ear pain; fever; middle ear infection; hearing loss; and pain, redness, and swelling over the mastoid process. Evaluation includes a CT scan. Treatment include IV antibiotics.
2. sebaceous cyst (requires complete removal of the sac for total cure).

When the cyst was drained in the ER, was a culture taken?

An ear, nose and throat specialist (ENT) may be able to give a definite diagnosis.

Let us know how it goes.

|