Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Yellow Tongue due to common cold?

SSJPabs - Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:08 am

27 year old male living in greater Minnesota (the northern part).

On Monday the 29, I noticed my tongue was yellow! I have a dentist appointment in about 2 weeks

Background: I have always had sinus trouble since I was a child and usually missed about a month of elementary school due to sinus infections with raging fevers, requiring antibiotics to defeat. These days I get sick a lot less often, 2 or less times a year, and always get the flu shot but the point is I am quite familiar with sinus problems. Anyhow, the last few weeks I have been somewhat congested with a runny left nostril (right side was clear). About a 8-9 days ago I started to get some sinus drainage in my throat and it began to get quite sore about 7 days ago. On saturday night/early sunday morning the cold became full blown resulting in massive, massive congestion (severe enough to cause me a moderately painful headache on 28-29) and a very bad store throat that mostly abated only today (Tuesday the 30th). Based on previous colds, I am getting better--I feel less sick, and while my nose continues to dribble I feel less, germy I guess you can say in my sinuses. I took my temperature both on the 29 and 28, and it was normal for me (in the 97s) during the day though I had light fever both evenings. But on the 29 I noticed my tongue was yellow when I took my temperature!

I have been drinking a LOT of chamomile tea, and that is a yellowish shade, also I have not brushed my teeth since Sunday at about 11am (I was so congested and spitting up mucus that I did not think it would do much good). Looking at my tongue itself, the yellow is not coating the entire tongue, only the center portion leaving the outer areas their regular pink shade. In addition it doesn't seem any more furry and there are no bumps or anything on the tongue, it looks stained yellow.

Is this yellowishness probably due to the cold and congestion? The mucus I am spitting out is ranging from clear to very light brown.

Thank you.
 SSJPabs - Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:55 pm

Since I do not believe I can edit this post I'll just write a quick new one. I ended up scrubbing my tongue very intensely while brushing my teeth for a day. It's now gone and I think it was a residue from mucus discharge from my sinuses. A bit disgusting but there you have it.

Also I would also like to take this opportunity to thank both Chan Lowe and Tom Plamondon and who answered previous medical questions. I did not thank them in post because it had been some time since the posts in question and did not want to bump them unnecessarily. Regardless I appreciate any help I receive on these forums.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:58 pm

Sounds like you are on the mend.
Thanks for the post.

|