News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: necrotizing fasciitis/Flesh Eating

scorpioncanadian - Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:51 pm

necrotizing fasciitis/Flesh Eating

I have had this disease in my upper leg to thigh front of leg area. In August 2008, I spent 11 days in the hospital, they said they fully removed it all. For a few months I dealt with feeling sharp pain INSIDE my leg, and still the outer part of my leg being completely numb.
Now, 4 months down the road I have extreme pain on the inside that has grown into a larger area, as well it feels like a bruise on the back of my leg, with no markings, and over the past week has grown from a golf ball size to bigger than my palm size (probably about 8inx8in) I am worried, and not sure if this would be a "walk in clinic" or a visit to the hospital for an xray of some sort??? Please ... any advice???

In Pain
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:53 pm

User avatar Hello,
Necrotizing fasciitis (NF) can be lethal and also difficult to detect. It is often misdiagnosed as cellulitis; and the skin can appear fairly healthy with the exception of some erythema. What is occurring under the skin however is another story as the infection eats away at the subcutaneous tissue and spreads rapidly.

Diagnosis of NF can be made with exploratory biopsy and CBC.
Treatment includes debridement and IV antibiotics.

Since you have been previously diagnosed with NF, it is important to have the leg evaluated in the ER as soon as possible.

Let us know how it goes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here