Forum Name: Other infections

Question: necrotizing fasciitis/Flesh Eating

scorpioncanadian - Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:51 pm

necrotizing fasciitis/Flesh Eating

I have had this disease in my upper leg to thigh front of leg area. In August 2008, I spent 11 days in the hospital, they said they fully removed it all. For a few months I dealt with feeling sharp pain INSIDE my leg, and still the outer part of my leg being completely numb.
Now, 4 months down the road I have extreme pain on the inside that has grown into a larger area, as well it feels like a bruise on the back of my leg, with no markings, and over the past week has grown from a golf ball size to bigger than my palm size (probably about 8inx8in) I am worried, and not sure if this would be a "walk in clinic" or a visit to the hospital for an xray of some sort??? Please ... any advice???

In Pain
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:53 pm

Necrotizing fasciitis (NF) can be lethal and also difficult to detect. It is often misdiagnosed as cellulitis; and the skin can appear fairly healthy with the exception of some erythema. What is occurring under the skin however is another story as the infection eats away at the subcutaneous tissue and spreads rapidly.

Diagnosis of NF can be made with exploratory biopsy and CBC.
Treatment includes debridement and IV antibiotics.

Since you have been previously diagnosed with NF, it is important to have the leg evaluated in the ER as soon as possible.

Let us know how it goes.

|