Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Tetanus vaccine reaction??? neck swelling

stickbandits - Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:56 am

I cut through a finger nail 3 days ago and went to the ER. They removed the rest of the fingernail, stitched me up, and gave me a tetanus shot. The site of injection is red, swollen, and sore to the touch. The injection site was the shoulder of my left arm. My left armpit is sore and a small spot of swelling has developed on my neck on the left side that is painful to the touch. What could be going on? Should I go back to the doctor? Thank you for your help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:50 am

It sounds like you might have lymph node swelling which could be in response to your injury or perhaps the vaccine. Because you don't know which, you probably should have it checked to be sure. Did they recommend a follow up appointment after your trauma? I would recommend it.

Good luck

|