Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Trichomoniasis, reoccurance, treatment & fertility?

unanswered?'s - Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:19 pm

Hello!
I was recently diagnosed with Trichomoniasis. I was given & took the 1 day dose of 4 500mg tablets of Metronidazol. The nurse who called just asked what pharmacy I used & explained not to have intercourse for 72 hours & that my partner would also need to be treated. The basics it seems.
Because I had never heard of Trichomoniasis and I had no symptoms at all (which also worries me, how long could I have been carrying this infection?!?!?!), I did some research on Trichomoniasis. Now I'm confused.
My Gynecologist did not recommend I come back in to confirm the Infection was taken care of by the medication. Only that she would see me next year for my annual. It seems there are enough instances of this infection being difficult to get rid of that she would have asked to see me again after a more specific (or sooner than 1 year) amount of time.
Also, I read that Trichomoniasis seems to be linked to "infertility". I'm not sure that would be the correct term as it doesn't seem to make the man or woman infertile forever. Only to inhibit fertilization while the infection exists.
So, ok. Should I request to see my Gynecologist again to be reexamined and/or tested to be sure the infection has been completely erradicated? If so, how long should I wait to be sure the posotive/negative test result will be clear?
Also, I am concerned. Although it has been over a year since I have had any physical contact what-so-ever w/a man, I will (well I hope), be involved with another man. I do not want to pass this to any partner in the future. Obviously, wearing a condom is key. (I have never had unprotected sex in the past. I assume this occured at some point where there was a breakage or something similar.) I want to be certain this infection has been taken care of. In addition, I want to be able to conceive a child should that situation appropriately present itself.
Please help, now I am more concerned than ever!
Thank you very much in advance :)
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:24 pm

Trichomonas infections are sexually transmitted disease. Some women are asymptomatic carriers so trying to figure out when transmission occurred can be difficult.

Trichomonas is often coupled with other STD's so testing for gonorrhea, chlamydia, HPV and HIV is important.

Medical research has reported a link between Trichomonas and infertility. I am not clear if the infertility occurred only in symptomatic women. One study used self reported trichomonas infection as its data source so a larger proportion must have been symptomatic.

Consensus says that folks should wait 7 days after last dose of metronidazole to have sex and because of the med's proven effectiveness, no follow up testing is needed.

Hope this provides some further education. All the best to you.

|