News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Would antiretroviral drugs have any affect on influenza?

trey3025 - Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:05 pm

I just started a 30-day supply of Truvada as an HIV post-exposure prophylactic. My question is could Truvada, an antiretroviral med, also fight regular viral infections such as influenza or would you have to take an additional antiviral med? I'm not asking if it would be the preferred treatment method for a viral infection, I'm just asking if you think it would fight viral infections. Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:49 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would expect it to help because the action is to boost your own immune system to help in fighting the virus. It is not specific to the virus as some antibiotics are to certain bacteria.

Best wishes
 trey3025 - Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:29 am

Thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:40 pm

User avatar You're welcome!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here