Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Excessive Belching after/during stomach flu

Terry R - Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:01 am

I've had the stomach flu for 4 nights now. The firt night was vomitting and diaria. Since then, it has been just diaria. Today, however, I started belching excessivly and they have a horrible smell. My wife says the odor smells similar to a passing gas smell, not exactly, but similar. Does this sound normal? I haven't had the stomach flu since I was a kid and most people I've talked to said they have never had belching like this coming off of the stomach flu.

Thanks in advace.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:26 pm

Belching foul smelling odor with the stomach flu is not commonly reported but despite the inconvience to loved ones, is not too alarming... unless any amount of stool comes with it. In this case, there is blockage in the intestinal tract and needs to be addressed by a physician.
The odor and frequency of the belching should subside as the body clears the infection.
If your symptoms worsen then seek medical attention.
Take care and keep us posted.

|