Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: scared about HIV + pls interpret following cbc result

techie50 - Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:09 pm

Dear sir,

1)

I had an exposure ( not risky or unsafe though ) on dec 1st. I got a handjob when fully clothed n it was over the clothes, and in the past one year have got the same thing done around 5 or 6 times from diff ppl. But, among those only two times i was not clothed. But, it was nothing other than hand job. THere was no intersection, or oral sex or anything else. I was getting pissed off now if there are any chances for me to have caught any std or hiv infection. Coz two weeks after dec 1st i got cold, cough, sore throat, fever and fatigue and one swollen lymph node in the groin.

After a week everything was normal except slight throat pain and cough. But, i have been outside travelling these two weeks at late nites coz of my professional work. So, it mayb coz of cold too. Now( 2 weeks after getting cold), all symptoms are gone and i only have some cough which the doc says will go away and the lymph node swollen ( this i have not discussed with doc )

but, my concern is : is this something to do with my act? was it a risky exposure first of all?

2) Now i don't have any problem apart from little cough. So, i thought i will get a cbc done and following are the results. Everything looks normal except the little high count of lymphocytes.

as on jan 7th 2009

heamoglobin 15.3
total blood count - 5300 lab normal range was 4000 to 11000
neutrophils - 46 45 - 75
lymphcytes- 49 20 - 40
monocytes- 02 02 - 08
eosinophils - 03 03 - 06
basophils - 00 00 - 01
rbc - 5.31 4.5 - 6.5
platelet count - 2.79 1.5 - 4.5

however the worrying factor to me is : i had got a cbc done an year ago, and the values are as below. This when compared to my current cbc values, its a concern to me, coz one year back it was 8600 and now its 5300 and also lymphocytes count is high now and before it was normal. neutrophils now is on the lower margin though within normal range, but last year it was on the higher range though within normal range. Does it say my immune system has weakend or is it just coz i am recovering from the common cold or should i go for other tests like hIV etc?

last year jan 15th ( jan 15th 2008)

heamoglobin 15.6
total blood count - 8600 lab normal range was 4000 to 11000
neutrophils - 70 45 - 75
lymphcytes- 27 20 - 40
monocytes- 01 02 - 08
eosinophils - 02 03 - 06
basophils - 00 00 - 01
rbc - 4.86 4.5 - 6.5
platelet count - 2.05 1.5 - 4.5

pls help me
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:34 pm

The CBC reports look fine. Your recent head cold would account for the high recent lymphocyte count and should return to previous lab values.

STD risky behavior involves touching of genitalia to: genitalia, mouth, or anus.

Masturbation with one's own hand or that of another does not increase risk. (Unless there is active bleeding from another's hand). For good health always keep hands clean.

If in doubt, consult your family physician.

Hope this helps.
Keep us posted.

|