News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: MRSA and it's level of contagion

NobleFern - Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:08 pm

I was just diagnosed with MRSA yesterday, and I work as a server in the food industry. I was just wondering since, my MRSA showed up as a large boil, since it was on my skin, how contagious am I? Is it through direct skin contact, or just contact with the open wound in my armpit?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:38 pm

User avatar Hello -

Basically the infection is confined to the site, but since MRSA lives on our skin, and since you are infected with MRSA you'll have quite a challenge in keeping the infected site adequately covered as well as avoiding skin contact with anyone -- or any thing into which anyone might come in contact. This is especially touchy in the food service industry, so you probably should discuss this with your employer in order to find out what sort of protection would be most appropriate for your particular job. You are probably actually more safe in bringing this to your employer's attention than if you conceal it, since there are often accomodations that can be made for someone suffering from MRSA infection and employers in many industries (especially food and healthcare) are required to be educated about these matters.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here