News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Acute Hepatitis B- Dark Specks in Stool

babyhuey - Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:08 pm

I've been diagnosed with acute hepatitis b, symptoms of which started about 2 months ago and subsequently identified as hepatitis the first week of December. The recovery seems to be going as expected, most of the harsh jaundice issues abating and a diet that's more tolerable to 'unrestricted' foods. ..In other words I'm feeling well on the way to better, but am still being careful. But I've noted the last couple of days the appearance of dark, granular specks in my stool....like coffee grounds. Acknowledging the notion it could be something I've been eating, it doesn't though really line up with anything I can remember consuming. I am concerned with the possibility of some sort of bleeding issue, and though now feeling better but being still a bit lethargic from having hep it would be difficult to assess another issue by my energy levels. I am seeing my doctor next week, but am wondering if it's an issue worth pulling alarm bells over before then. And if it's not digested food, is there a 'typical' occurance while the liver heals which would explain the observation?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:26 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would not be alarmed about this. If there are bleeding issues, you will likely continue to have symptoms and your doctor can check for the presence of blood in the stool when you see him so be sure to mention it to him next week.

Good luck on your recovery.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here