News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Mono or Hantavirus?

LadyKream - Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:46 am

This last summer I was very sick- syptoms including instense stomach pain, low fever during the day, high fever at night, some respiratory problems at the beginning, swollen lymph nodes, etc. I was very sick for a couple months. The doctors ran a lot of tests. However I came up positive for mono and hantavirus- the doctors tested me for mono once and hantavirus twice and all tests returned positive. (I have weekly contact with small wild animals- rabbits, mice, etc) I was wondering if it was possible to test a false positive for one of these caused by having the other virus or if I actually had both of them (i.e. if I had mono would I also test positive for hantavirus even if I only had mono?) I know you don't know the details of my specific case, but if you could give me any help on this matter, I'd appreciate it.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:29 pm

User avatar Hello,
I suspect that antibodies showed up in your blood indicating your body had fought off both of these infections sometime in the past. But, it would be impossible to say which was the problem last summer vs some other time. When the tests were done they may have been able to distinguish recent from remote infection. The important thing is that you are treated for any acute infection; not worry too much about those you had in the past.

If you need clarification on your lab work, please call your doctor and explain that you do not fully understand. It is part of their job to be sure you understand what they do and get the full disclosure on your health. They also realize that many times people are very stressed during the acute phases of illness and they don't absorb all the information they receive so the doctor knows it is often necessary to revisit the subject for further explanation.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here