News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Awful flu however have constant heart pains

naskos29 - Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:38 pm

To get straight to the point for little over a year now i seem to constantly have a cold however this last week has been dreadful. My doctor says its a viral infection (he didnt even check me or ask any questions). I have a fever most of the day, constant coughing, body ache, sore throat and havent been able to eat anything for 3 days. however my main concern is geting sharp pains in the region where my heart is, this has been going on for about 16 hours now...I think it may be just strain from my ribs because of my coughing however i don't know anything about this stuff so please tell me that im over-reacting and its nothing as im getting myself very worried!
Thank you very much for your time,
Maria N
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:46 pm

User avatar Hello,
I am sorry to hear about your current illness.
It would be wise to see a physician to have your throat and chest evaluated. If you are unable to swallow then hydration becomes a problem. Chest pain due to cough in a young person may cause some secondary problems like costochonritis or pneumonia.
It would also be prudent to discuss recurrent viral infections with your physicians. He may advise some general health measures (eg diet, exercise, tobacco cessation) or order some blood work during your non sick days to get baselines of your blood cell counts.

Hope this helps and hope your illness subsides in a prompt fashion.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here