Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Infection of Lymph nodes or is there more to it?

artxdamage - Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:12 pm

I am a 19 year old male from Minnesota.
Around mid-october I noticed I had a small lump on my jaw on the left side, near the muscle. I saw the doctor and he said it was nothing to worry about, just a swollen lymph node reacting to fighting an infection, and that it could take weeks, or possible many months to go away.. However, since then It has gotten a little bigger-not much bigger, it is probaby about 5 mm in diameter compared to about 2 mm before? anyway.
Since mid-november, I have gotten numerous colds, a bacterial throat infection, and a weeke after that for about 4 days I had flu-like symptoms, it could have been the flu or just something with symptoms like it.
I now have had a cold for two weeks, and my throat has been sore in the same spot for about a week. Today i discovered that right under my chin is very tender, near the left side.
I Guess my real question is, is the swollen lymph node causing my sickness possibly? If so, what would you advise? If not, what is a good way to get rid of the damn thing anyway?
thanks,
-Jake
 artxdamage - Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:54 am

I guess I should also mention the status of the swollen node. it is not fixed in one place mostly, I can move it around with my finger. It is pretty hard to the touch, not really that soft at all. Please someone answer soon. I just want to know what is up with my lymph nodes and if i should be worried.
-Jake
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:13 pm

Swollen lymph node will not cause upper respiratory illness however upper respiratory illness will increase the size of a lymph node.

Warm compresses to the lymph node may help.

Solitary lymph node enlargement is common and considered benign. If the lymph nodes (neck, above clavicles, arm pits, groin area)enlarge and multiply certainly see your physician as this is a red flag for potential serious disease.

Let us know how it goes.
 artxdamage - Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:44 pm

I was just mainly concerned because my throat has been sore for almost a week, with nothing more than the sniffles accompanying it in a very mild manner.
I'll look out for those other lymph nodes increasing in size, and if i find any I'll go to my GP and let you know.
thanks Doc!
-Jake

|