Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: HPV in longterm monogamous couple

Diatoo - Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:50 pm

I'm confused and a little worried. Two years ago I was diagnosed with Herpes type 2 and 6 months ago with HPV. I am 63 and my husband and I have been married for 27 years. Is it possible that either of us has been carrying these STD's around for 27 years? My primary care doctor has been non-committal about it, but a younger doctor at a women's clinic told me pretty firmly that it was "highly unlikely" that this could be the case. So, has my husband been straying or not? Don't try to spare my feelings, I think I ought to know.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:17 pm

While no one can tell you with any certainly whether or not your husband might have brought this into the picture, you can at least give him the benefit of the doubt, as HPV, like herpes, can remain dormant indefinitely. The only difference is in what we know historically, since interest in HPV is much more recent, and there isn't as much documented long-term information. However, it appears to behave very similarly to the herpes virus in many ways, and both can remain dormant for decades, so these could have been present for that long at least, and it is anything but "highly unlikely" that they both could have been present for far longer than the period in question. Determining just when they were acquired is virtually impossible (even if you had chickenpox when young you could have had a mild enough case that it could have passed unnoticed).

These two viruses are so common, there are so many strains (about 110 variants of the HPV alone) and so insidious, that it wou'd be a pretty weak platform on which to base concerns about infidelity without some far more damning evidence to correlate with it.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck to you and please do follow up with us as needed.
 Diatoo - Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:00 pm

Thanks, Dr. Kenyon. I do think that my husband deserves the benefit of the doubt, and I appreciate knowing that I'm not just guilty of willfully ignoring the obvious.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:20 pm

User avatar You're welcome. Please keep us updated if anything changes.

|