Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: FOOT FUNGUS, SWOLLEN HANDS, FEVER

dmcnmami - Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:57 am

I'M WRITING THIS FOR MY BOYFRIENDS BROTHER. I ALREADY ADVISED THEM TO GO TO THE E.R. BUT THEY WANT ME TO LOOK UP AND ANSWER ONLINE...

He has had foot fungus for several months now, he also has sometimes been waking up with swollen hands and it lasts for a long time before the swelling goes down. It is not painful, more like his hands feel numb (like when you sleep on your hand or arm)... Now today he woke up with fever and he said he feels weak as well and cant even barely open a bottle of water... Now if i do convince him to go the the e.r. you know the wait is long so i need to write on the sign-in paper what exactly he has so he can be treated by the right person and rapidly. Do you have any idea what he might have????? Oh and he does work in a recycling plant and he believes that is the cause, because a lot of times he doesn't wear gloves.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:03 pm

It would be wise to seek medical help with symptoms of fever, swollen hands, and foot fungus (infecion).

The possibilities of diagnoses are too numerous to list them all. In general it would include hand arthritis, viral or bacterial infection (upper respiratory, lower respiratory, skin, blood, etc), liver or kidney problems and of course athletes foot.

Let us know how it turns out for your boyfriend's brother.

dmcnmami - Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:17 pm

He ended up going to Trinitas Hospital in Elizabeth,NJ.
I don't know exactly what his diagnosis was but my boyfriend said the fungus caused those symptoms and they perscribed a medicine that he is supposed to take for 3 months i think. Thanks for replying though. Have a good one! =)

|