News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Chlmydia and Gonorrhea Reinfections

Morgantyesha - Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:06 pm

I was recently told that I was infected with both Chlmydia as well as Gonorrhea my GYN prescribed two precriptions but didn't give me the shot for Gonorrhea. So instead I went to a clinic where they gave me a shot for Gonorrhea as well as these two pink pills for the Chlmydia. Now my question is how long was i suppose to wait to engage in sexual intercourse. The doctor at the clinic didn't tell me and my fiancee listened to the phlebotomist who told him, he could have sex in three days. Which sounds funny to me because I know a phelbotomist isn't a doctor. Then, i thought maybe because it was a high dosage, that maybe it she was right. Because my prescribed medicine was for ten days. Anyway please help me in telling me what to do.
P.S- We had sexual intercourse four days after his visit and three days after mine. He went on day before me. Also am feeling burning, Im prone to yeast infections and think that the high dosage of antibiotic may have given me one.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:23 pm

User avatar Hello Morgantyesha,

Generally I recommend treated persons to abtain from sexual contact for seven days after treatment. It is possible that the infection may be sufficiently treated after 3-4 days to prevent reinfection but one week is a good safety margin. Since both of you were treated it makes it a little less likely for reinfection as well.

I would recommend, to be safe since these infections can sometimes be asymptomatic, that you be retested in a few weeks to be sure that you are free from infection.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here