Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Chlmydia and Gonorrhea Reinfections

Morgantyesha - Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:06 pm

I was recently told that I was infected with both Chlmydia as well as Gonorrhea my GYN prescribed two precriptions but didn't give me the shot for Gonorrhea. So instead I went to a clinic where they gave me a shot for Gonorrhea as well as these two pink pills for the Chlmydia. Now my question is how long was i suppose to wait to engage in sexual intercourse. The doctor at the clinic didn't tell me and my fiancee listened to the phlebotomist who told him, he could have sex in three days. Which sounds funny to me because I know a phelbotomist isn't a doctor. Then, i thought maybe because it was a high dosage, that maybe it she was right. Because my prescribed medicine was for ten days. Anyway please help me in telling me what to do.
P.S- We had sexual intercourse four days after his visit and three days after mine. He went on day before me. Also am feeling burning, Im prone to yeast infections and think that the high dosage of antibiotic may have given me one.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:23 pm

User avatar Hello Morgantyesha,

Generally I recommend treated persons to abtain from sexual contact for seven days after treatment. It is possible that the infection may be sufficiently treated after 3-4 days to prevent reinfection but one week is a good safety margin. Since both of you were treated it makes it a little less likely for reinfection as well.

I would recommend, to be safe since these infections can sometimes be asymptomatic, that you be retested in a few weeks to be sure that you are free from infection.

|