Forum Name: AIDS

Question: WHAT CAN CAUSE BILATERAL CYST IN PAROTID GLANDS ?

sundari s - Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:40 am

Hello.
What can cause bilateral cyst in parotid glands in male?

How LONG does it take to develop such symptoms after an HIV exposure ?

Actually around 2nd November 2008, i ( 24 yrs M) had a haircut in a saloon and had got a cut with their(saloon's) razor.At around 10th NOV 2008, i felt a small swelling near beneath my ear.it was first ignored, but on 19th Nov 08, went to doc. He said it was lymph node enlargement.
CT reveals one cyst in each parotid gland. Discrete Jugular lymph nodes swollen in the jugular region bilaterally. Lymph nodes are not palpable from outside.

HIV test was done on 3rd December 2008, found to be negative.

RAPID done on 5th January 2009, found negative.

FNAC negative.
Will take a test in mid February 09 again. i am very worried.
Please can u tell me what is the cause of this?

Thanks for your time.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:39 pm

Your concern is understandable, and certain types of bilateral parotid cysts are sometimes associated with HIV, but there are a lot of things that need to be done to clear this up, and the odds, so far, are that this is not the case this time. Here's why: Your potential exposure to HIV (and it's only a slim possibility, statistically) wouldn't have had time to develop clinically yet. While this casts some doubt on your initial tests, at least they were negative, which is a plus. Also, you woudn't have had time for HIV, if it were the result of the razor nick, to show itself, so it's hardly been time enough to cause telltale pathologies like the cysts you seem to have. There is also some other lymphadenopathy, which argues some other etiology.

What needs to be done now is to determine if these cysts are actually papillary cystadenoma lymphomatosum (PCL, or Warthin's tumor, a benign phenomenon); this should be done via bloodwork to study CD4 and CD8 cell counts. A biopsy could, if indicated, rule out HIV. If it's neither of these two things, there are a lot of other infectious processes that can cause this sort of problem. So long as HIV isn't a part of the picture the approach is pretty conservative, although with PCL sometimes the cysts become large enough to warrant surgical removal, which is relatively easy and atraumatic.

The follow up HIV testing will be helpful in determining what needs to be done next, but so long as the razor nick is your only possible source of exposure, this seems extremely unlikely from a statistical angle.

Even if this were the result of HIV, that is no longer the catastrophe it once was, although understandably no one would want to have it. It's definitely unilikely given the facts as presented by you, so try to not lose too much sleep over this, but by all means follow up, since the cysts can eventually become enough of a bother to require removal, IF they are PCL-related. If not, you'll need more lab work done to find out just what is causing this problem with the lymph glands and manage the problem appropriately.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck to you and please follow up with us as needed.
 sundari s - Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:44 am

thank you very much for your kind advice and the time you have give me.

i took a RAPID test again on the 20th of January 2009. it was the 80th day after my presumed exposure. the results were negative. the doctors say that i don't need to worry.

though that was a little reassuring , just the day after i had loose motion, but i would like to believe it was due to the spicy food i have had since a couple of days. i still feel a little feverish ( sometimes) and have little cough and cold. and i don't know if it is psychosomatic or not ,i felt a little irritation in my armpit and groin too. my doctors say , it is due to anxiety and the tension i am in and nothing more.
i have visited a dental surgeon too, he said that the cysts in the parotid glands have no connection with HIV.

my question is , does this have anything to do with serroconversion?
i got tested on my 80th day after the incident, the reports say Negative.
when does serroconversion take place , both minimum and maxmimum time ? is it possible to have serroconversion after the 80th day ?

thank you for all the support and good work and may God bless you all for the dedication and wonderful work that you are doing to relieve people like us.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:55 pm

User avatar I think while you may have something going on (there almost has to be an underlying cause for this), it's apparently not HIV-related, and you'd probably be wise to allow yourself to be comfortable with that finding and start enjoying life again.

The loose movements were very likely due to food you ate, and would be unlikely to be related to anything HIV-related anyway, but you've been emotionally traumatized by the possibility that you might have been exposed and now, even though the evidence is convincing that that's not the case, you're sensitized to things that seem "wrong." It's understandable.

The seroconversion "window" is, according to several sources, between 45 and 60 days, so while it's probably technically "possible" for it to take place after 80 days, it would seem extremely unlikely and statistically out of the question.

I hope you'll be able to let this go now and move on with your life. There may be some relatively innocent underlying cause for the cysts, but overall it seems the HIV concern has been eliminated. Enjoy that fact.
 sundari s - Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:33 am

thank you so much again for the time and attention you have given me.
 sundari s - Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:30 am

i am posting to update that --i have undergone another RAPID on the 3rd of February 2009, and the results are negative.
i will undergo another test after 3 months to absolutely be sure.
thank you.
 sundari s - Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:11 am

is it possible to be infected after getting negative results in serial RAPID tests even after 3 months of presumed exposure ? i was more than relieved when my last RAPID gave a negative result ( after 90 days ), but i met a homeopathy doctor who said , HIV cannot give proper results before 5 months . i have gone back to being tensed all over again.
thank you for your help.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:18 pm

User avatar Hi there --

So sorry this happened. The laboratory standard for statistical certainty for HIV is 90 days. I'm sure there have been variations (most likely due to failure of patients to maintain proper scheduling of lab visits), but at five months or five years the result should be about the same. Beyond three months you're unlikely to get a different or more accurate reading down the road. The homeopath is, as they are wont to do, making judgements and statements unsupported by medical science, which, of course, is the risk inherent in dealing with someone who isn't bound to abide by agreed-upon medical standards.

By now you are most certainly in the clear by any recognized standard.
 sundari s - Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:49 pm

thank you again .
i am relieved to know that the last results can be trusted upon.
thank you very much.
 sundari s - Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:42 pm

i took another RAPID on 28th Feb 09 , 118th day after my presumed exposure. the results are Negative.
but ,just the day after , i felt two palpable lymph nodes in the submandibular region. i consulted a doctor , she said that since i have two small ulcers on my inner lip, its most probably due to the bacterial infection that the lymph nodes have increased in size. they do hurt a little.
i am going crazy. the scare is'nt just going away after repeated tests.
is it possible to still have HIV after getting negative results 4 months post the presumed exposure ?
thank you for your co-operation.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:46 am

User avatar At this point you've pretty well eliminated even a remote chance of HIV infection, but you apparently do have some sort of less worrisome infectious process going on somewhere, and it's causing you a lot of worry and has probably escaped diagnosis because so much attention was focused on ruling out HIV. This lesser thing is causing problems, but should be manageable with proper therapy, once it is identified.

No, I think it's safe to say you don't have HIV. Now you need to figure out just what it is that's causing the swollen glands and apthous stomatitis (mouth ulcers). This could be caused by herpes simplex, although usually it's of no known etiology and has to be treated symptomatically. It goes away -- and comes back and goes away again.
 sundari s - Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:55 am

i have got both Antigen and Antibody test done along with a HIV Dna test on the 4th of march 09.
All the 3 results are negative.
and about the ulcers, i have been having these ulcers since childhood, and as i remember , they usually come and go.
the only thing that bothers me now ,is that i still have the cold. is it of concern if it has become chronic ? how can i be sure there is no risk of malignancies in the lymph nodes? should i be worried about swollen mandibular lymph nodes ?
i am really thankful to you for the time and attention you have given me.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:51 am

User avatar You can't get a much more negative ("positive" in common parlance) result than that. I'd say you are pretty much 100% in the clear regarding HIV. That's very good news.

If you've had the ulcers all your lie then you fall into a subset of people unlucky enough to suffer from this really annoying problem, but they at least have no known connection to anything else. They are just a royal pain.

When a cold (or what acts like a cold) becomes chronic it is usually either allergies, a sinus infection, or a combo of the two. Just like apthous ulcers, some people have all the crummy luck and just have these problems for no particular reason, and have to treat them symptomatically. This is the time of year, in the northern hemisphere at least, when both flourish, too, as well as common colds, which can be repetitive due to the almost infinite number of viral strains out there to be shared. Not something to be overly concerned about, just, as with the mouth ulcers, a fairly constant source of annoyance.

Sounds like you are as normal as most of the folks I run into in "regular" life. Sneezing, mostly right now. It also sounds like a pretty good kind of annoying. Just stuff. Nothing horrible. Good deal, I'd say!
 sundari s - Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:20 am

thank you so much for giving me so much time and attention. i cannot express how grateful i am for all your help to alleviate my fears and bear with my paranoia.
you are doing a wonderful job and may God bless you all.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:54 pm

User avatar You're very welcome, and thank you for the kind words. The fact that what we do is appreciated means almost as the fact that we're sometimes able to be of help.

|