Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Nocardia infection in a breast from breast implants?

chriszwife - Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:31 pm

In March of 2008 I had breast augumentation. In september '08 I began getting really sick. My left breast turned hard and I had "flu like" symptoms. Long story short after 2 months of in and out of doctor offices they finally removed it after it turned red. When the implant was removed cultures were taken. They came back a week or so later with a "nocardia" bacteria. After my surgery in March (within 24-48 hours) I started to bruise really bad on my left breast. It was also very sore...just the left one.

My question is: if I was infected during surgery.. would it have infected me through dirty instruments? dust?

Thanks so much for ANY opinions on this..Im really lost and still kinda scared.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:16 pm

Thank you for writing in.

The culture revealed Nocardia bacteria but it is difficult to figure out if the infection occurred while in the hospital or in the community.

If it occurred in the hospital, the transmission was probably via dust or in the air.

Hope your breast area has healed with antibiotic treatment and have continue to do well with treatment.

|