Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: Horrible throat pain and Sore Tongue

Hopeful110670 - Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:11 pm

Hello:

I really need help regarding a potential thrush problem. First let me tell you a little history. Around 8 months ago I gave birth my a beautiful son. I soon discovered after giving birth that my son had oral thrush, which I inturn from breast feedlng contracted it on my nipples and eventually on my tongue (oral). Went through the Nystatin swishes and diflucan treatment and seemed to contain it for awhile.

Since this time, my health has completely detoriated, I have had swollen inflammed joints in my arms, wrists, hands, knees, ankles, hips and every other joint in my body. I have seen a orthopedic surgeon due to a knee injury about a month after I had my son and after 2 MRI's he believes my joint pain is being caused by a form of arthritis.

I do agree that I may have developed some type of arthritis, I have ALL the classic signs and have a Rheumy appt set up for Feb. My family physician has put me on 10 mg of Prednisone and it truly has helped me.

Well now back to my current problem, since all this has been going on, I noticed that my thrush has come back, at least that is what I want to believe it is. I have the classic white patchy film on my tongue and it is extremely red underneath. It actually bleeds when i brush it. The problem I am having a hard time understanding is my throat is completely raw and it is beginning to get hard to swallow. It almost feels like their is something stuck in my throat. Also my ears have been completely painful for the last two months, I went to my family physician and she said I had an ear infection in both ears (which i have not had since I was child) and gave me antibiotics. However, after taking these, the infection has still not cleared up.

I realize that taking a variety of medicanes can cause yeast build up and could enhance the thrush problem, as well as the steroid usage, but I cannot seem to get rid of this ongoing battle of it. Besides the two main antifungal medications is there any other recommended treatment for thrush? I know having a yeast free diet can help too, and I have been doing that, but it still will not go away.

Also, do you think possibly my throat problems could be directly correlated to the thrush on my tongue and could it affect my ears as well? I also have continued to have profuse sweating issues since my son was born, is this also a symptoms of thrush? Tingling in mouth, tongue and lips, thrush related? Cough and all over achiness?

I really just need answers and would LOVE to be able to feel like myself again. Any help is greatly appreciated on this issue!
 Hopeful110670 - Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:46 pm

Please.... if a doctor or nurse could help me I would VERY much appreciate it!!!!!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:38 am

User avatar Hi Hopeful110670,
Let me start by asking you a couple of questions. Have you been tested for any immune system disorders/deficiencies, diabetes etc.? If you have thrush in your mouth it's is quite possible you could also have thrush in you throat and that is what's causing the soreness there, so yes, in my opinion they are directly related. As for the profuse sweating, are these night sweats? I would like to know the answers to the above questions please before I venture further.
 Hopeful110670 - Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:33 am

Hello Rntdj:

Thank you so much for responding to me. To answer your first question, yes I have been tested for diabetes, as well as a sleuth of other tests including Lupus, CBC, thryoid, parathryoid, liver function, kidney function tests and so forth. Everything came back normal besides my alkaline phosphate test where it showed my enzymes being slightly elevated. I was tested 3 months later as well and they were still slightly elevated. My doctor proceeded to do a isoenyzme breakdown and it showed no significant outcome to my bone or liver as being the culprit for the elevated enzymes.

I have had two cat scans done, on my pelvis and abdomen region for severe back pain and all over aches and the only outcome of these is a small cyst on my right ovary and a benign cyst on my liver which I have been assured can come from woman of child bearing years which I am.

The sweating just seems to happen when I start moving too much, if I exert myself at all is when it occurs. At first I thought it was just hormone related because I was breastfeeding for several months, however it has not disappeared and the thrush has only gotten worse.

You mentioned you believe their could be a link between the thrush and my throat? Do you believe it has gone down my throat possibly? I have been on Nystatin swishes for months now and cannot get rid of it. As well as rounds of diflucan. I have had reoccuring yeast infections, where it has gotten so bad I was referred to a urologist. After speaking with that specialist and cultures and ultrasounds, again I am left with no answers.

I just do not feel at all like myself, I am EXTREMELY tired all the time, I have no energy what so ever, The tingling in my lips and soreness on my tongue and throat have drove me crazy. I just cannot seem to get rid of all these problems. I notice too when i sweat I seem to have an odor that comes along with it...not like a body odor but a different type of odor (I guess I would have a hard time describing it)

As I mentioned, I may also have some form of arthrits as well. I do not know if this is all connected somehow but I really do not believe the thrush and arthritis is. I also have noticed a harder time breathing lately, and I have been coughing up more phlegm as well as having a tickle in my throat. I am not sick, as in strep or bronchitis or the common cold, I just have these symptoms.

Again, any help would be appreciated. I am truly at my wits end, I just really want to feel better. I am only 34 years old and at times I feel like I am 80.
 Hopeful110670 - Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:01 pm

Hi again:

Sorry about not adding this to my previous post, but the earaches I have had for over 3 months now, do you believe that is also part of the thrush possibly?

I guess I just really do not understand how all this yeast stuff could cause so many ailments? I am just wondering if it actually is something other than thrush? I am also thinking about going to any ENT for an evaluation. The other DX's I can think of correlating to this would be Mono, Lyme Disease, or some sort of cancer. I noticed I have a swelling (lump) on or slightly above my right side of my collar bone. I did some research to see that it could also be a lymph node located there....
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:19 am

User avatar Hi Hopeful110670,
I wouldn't think that yeast overgrowth would cause an earache. However, in regards to most of your other symptoms including the joint pain, in my opinion, sounds yeast related. Immune compromised systems caused by any reason from excessive stress, hormone imbalance, underactive thyroid, immune deficiency can create an evironment for overwhelming growth of yeast. It also sounds like since you have been being treated for months with your current therapy and the yeast may be somewhat resistant/resilient. You also mentioned that you have changed your diet. Have you ever been prescribed to take Acidophillus? Acidophillus controls candida (yeast) by making the intestinal tract more acidic to discourage the growth of candida, and by producing hydrogen peroxide, which directly kills candida. As for your question regarding a lymph node in the area of your collar bone, yes, there are lymph nodes in that region. Among your other symptoms do you have skin symptoms as well? You mentioned some of the blood work that has been done but has an immune assay ever been completed? Have you been referred to a specialist (hematologist, oncologist etc.) by your family physician? If you have not been, I would certainly keep this as in consideration.
 Hopeful110670 - Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:23 am

Thank you again for taking the time to respond to my post. I truly am impressed I found this site and am able to discuss my symptoms with professionals.

To answer some of your questions, I have not been put on Acidophillus, my doctor has never suggested it. I will make sure to mention this to her. Also as far as an immune assay goes, I am not quite sure what this is, could you please elaborate more on this subject. The only thing besides the previous tests I had mentioned I was test for was AIDS/HIV and that came back normal. I do not believe any other "immune" tests were done. I have not been referred to a hematologist, oncologist ither. I know what a oncologist is. Is the hematologist a blood specialist? I am wondering if the lymph node in my collar bone could be swelled due to my immune system being down from the meds and the thrush?

You had mentioned the joint pain could be associated as well to the yeast, is this a common symptoms of yeast overgrowth? I can tell you that their is definately inflammation going on because when I do not take the prednisone, I ache so bad that I can barely walk. I have burning all over my body, especially in my hands and legs. I can barely move my fingers.

I did notice the other day that I have skin irritation, almost a scaley, dry area that has formed on the underside of my forearms. I have never had this before and it should up about a week ago. The only reason I noticed it was due that it started itching and I could feel it.

It almost seems like every other day my throat is sore, it will even feel fine throughout the day somedays and then it hits me and it becomes sore. Sometimes on one side and sometimes on the other. It is hard to swallow and their is a burning feeling, almost like if you had acid in your throat. I notice after the Nystatin treatment the symptoms seem to disappait for awhile.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:58 am

User avatar Hi Hopeful,
An immune assay or immunoassay is a specific test performed on blood and other body fluids as well to check for certain substances of the immune system. Some of the things it tests for is HIV, Lyme disease, autoimmune disorders, systemic lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, tests for certain cancers including leukemia and multiple myeloma etc. Yeast overgrowth causes a multitude of problems and if the immune system stays weakened long enough it can spread to all parts of the body. Some of these as follows - fatigue, headaches, coughing, wheezing, joint swelling, arthritis, muscle aches, hives and rashes, eczema, etc. etc. In answer to your question, a hematologist is a blood specialist. I am quite concerned especially since this is such a long standing unresolved problem. Since the HIV test came back negative I would hope your family doctor will send you to a specialist for some investigation to rule out the cause.I have also forwarded this to one of the doctors on the forum so that you may have a more definitative opinion.
 Hopeful110670 - Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:15 pm

Thank you so much Rntdj for your answers and for fowarding my post. I guess I was checked for Lupus and also for RA, in which my RH factor was negative. However that does not mean that it is not positive still. My grandmother also has RA and hers did not show up until it had progressed very far along and something to do with her sed rate. This is why I am going to see a Rheumy doctor.

However, as you said, I have not been tested for the other things that I am aware of, and I have not been referred out. I agree that this thrush problem as gone on for way too long. It has been non stop for around 8 months ever since my baby was born. It has only gotten worse. Matter of fact when I went to my FP she did not believe I had thrush in my mouth, I made her do a culture and of course it came back positive. But at this point it is very obvious in my mouth, she would have not denying it. I had saw my urologist and told her about my problems with the thrush coming back and she said, Oh let me take a quick look in your mouth. I opened up my mouth and right away she was like, Oh my...yes, you have it, their is quite a considerable amount of white film on our tongue and gave me another round of Nystatin.... :(

Well thank you again for your time and patience with me and I will look forward to hearing the doctors response as well!

Have a wonderful day and take care...
 Hopeful110670 - Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:07 am

Hi there:

Well this morning I have been having more symtpoms, I have a continous non stop sweat, it mainly seems to be on my forehead area. I am not doing anything besides sitting and walking from room to room in my house. Absolutely NO exerction. Could someone please explain the reasons I could be sweating for no apparent reason? This has been going on for around 8 months now, on and off. It seems to get worse at times and then other times it is not as noticeable.

Also, I noticed when I coughed this morning that their was much more drainage (phlegm) coughed up then usual. I also noticed it had a few streaks (tiny) spots of blood mixed in. Should I be concerned? Could it possibly be from my nose? I have noticed too when I blow my nose there can be blood in it and I just assume it is from my house being so dry and my nasal passages being dry as well.

Lastly, I did mention to the nurse that I did have a chest xray done (wherein contrast had been injected in me due to a cat scan the same day...not for my chest though) anyways, I am curious to know if a chest xray would notice any masses no matter how small they are? Or do I need to request a low dose cat from my family physician? I am not sure if I should feel comfortable with just the results of the chest xray. I also had an abdomen ct done and I wondered if that would show any part of my lungs?

Okay, sorry for all the questions, I just need to know what direction to head in.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:13 pm

User avatar Hi Ali,
In my opinion these symptoms are related to the yeast infection. After giving this much consideration, when I mentioned before about you being referred to an oncologist or hematologist, maybe the best place to start would be an Infectious disease specialist who deals specifically with chronic (long term) infections. Would your family physician be agreeable to referring you to someone in your area? I still think that infections that aren't responding to current treatment and all treatment methods have failed, taking into consideration that your symptoms appear to be worsening, your family physician needs to refer you to someone that can identify the and treat the problem. Your post has been alerted for a more advanced opinion.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:33 am

User avatar Dear Ali,

Theresa has very professionally replied to your post.

A long lasting yeast infection usually means that there is something wrong with the immune system of the body.

Yeasts are weak normal inhabitants of the body and they only start to grow and cause infections and problems when the immnity of the body is lowered.

Drenching night sweats also are a hallmark of chronic toxemia (reaction to the infection or whatever that is that is producing those toxins in the body).

i totally agree with Theresa that you should evaluated by an infectious disease specialist as soon as possible.

What could cause this problem? You could have a chronic sinus infection or urinary tract infection caused by yeasts that is causing all these problems.

Regarding the joint problem, this could be a reaction to the infection that you have and this is called reactive arthritis. i think you have most of its symptoms, the pain in the joints all over the body, back pain and it is also known to cause skin and eye problems.

Regarding the prednisone, the yeast will not go away, i think, till the prednisone is stopped. i am also not a fan of using prednisone until a definitive diagnosis is established as it sometimes counfounds the clinical picture and makes things more confusing than they already are.

i am not though in a position to tell you whether or not to stop to stop the prednisone because prednisone is like magic to patients who have inflammation but we have to look at the bigger picture.

You never said what happened to the oral thrush that was affecting your son and whether or not the nipple thrush was successfully treated.

You sound chronically ill to me and this has to be taken care of and i think the only way is to be seen by an infectious disease specialist and let's wait for the rheumatology appointment.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped and please, don't hesitate to post your concerns.

Hopeful110670 - Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:50 pm

Thank you Doc, I am going to make an appt with an infectious disease specialist as you have mentioned. As far as the nipple yeast, that is gone as well as my sons. I stopped breastfeeding around a month ago due to the medicanes I was taking.

I do not necessarily have night sweats, it is just constant sweating for no apparent reason throughout the day. I can just be sitting there and I sweat. Of course it gets worse if I start working on something in the house or walk. I am as you stated very ill and extremely lethargic. That is the worst part of it besides the joint pain. I could sleep all day long...I have NO energy whatsoever and it takes literally all of my strength to do things, like clean the house.

I am so tired of being sick and not having any answers, I will immediately try and get in to see a doc. Also, I have heard that diabetes could be another indication of a chronic yeast infection. My husband is convinced this is what it is...but I did have some blood test and she said I did not have it. Although I read that you can take the glucose serum test and that could diagnose it too. I wanted to let you know with my son I had hypoglcemia which i still believe I do. It is just so funny that ALL of these symptoms started after my son was born. I never had any of them prior to him being born. Including the yeast infections, which i just got another one today, and the thrush or the joint pain. I believe it is all connected and is a result of me giving birth somehow?

Well thank you and I again appreciate your help on this subject!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:23 pm

User avatar Hi Ali,
Two of the tests used to diagnose Diabetes are a fasting blood glucose level after an overnight fast. Blood is drawn first thing in the morning to check blood sugar levels. An oral glucose tolerance test, one is given a very sweet tasting drink and having their blood drawn at increments of 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours and 3 hours after consuming the substance. Generally the result of a person that does not have Diabetes, their blood sugar rises quickly and then by the end of the test returns to normal range because of insulin produced by the pancreas. As for giving birth being connected to your other ailments, the event alone causes many changes in the body and in my opinion it could have" triggered" (Not caused) something that compromised your immune system.
Theresa (Rntdj)
 Hopeful110670 - Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:56 pm

Thank you Theresa for your explanation. I guess that leads me to my next question. When my doctor supposedly did a diabetes test I did not fast at all prior to the test for the blood glucose level test. I really am not 100% sure she even did a test to check me. I was in the ER with pain when I was awaiting "general blood work" results from my family doc when the ER doctor told me I would have probably been tested. (I am not sure if that just made any sense or not?) What I can tell you is that I have only had the blood work done for the other things I had mentioned earlier.

Now as far as the oral glucose tolerance test, I did have a test like this when I was pregnant and I did the one hour test. Well that came back signficantly high and so they had me preform the 3 hour test and what ended up happening is that by the time those three hours where up, and I was about to leave, they told me to make sure I eat something. Well my husband and I barely made it to the resturaunt and I started feeling extremely weak and naseau's. I told him I could not eat anything and I felt I was going to pass out. To make a long story short, I almost did pass out...to find out I actually "crashed" according to my doctor and that my levels agreed with how I felt.

It was my understanding I was hypoglycemic....however, my husband all along has been thinking I am diabetic. Should I request a specific test to check for diabetes? It is my understanding that a long lasting "chronic" yeast infection could be caused by diabetes.

Thank you again and by the way, I am awaiting a phone call from my doctors so that they will refer me to an infectious disease specialist practice I have found. Keeping my fingers crossed........
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:29 pm

User avatar Dear Ali,

Thank you very much for the update.

Incorrect assumptions are one's worst enemies. Unless you are sure of what was and was not, say i think that this was done or was not because diagnosis is totally dependant on what the patient tells the doctor, it directs the thought process towards a certain path and along the path, ceratin possibilities are dropped and this is dependant once more on the patient's history and physical examination and tests. However, please make sure what did your obstetrician think about the results of your oral glucose tolerance test.

Please, test your blood sugar not only to check for diabetes but because prednisone causes increase in the blood sugar as well.

The diagnosis of diabetes depends on finding one of the following:

1. Symptoms of diabetes (drinking a lot, urinating a lot and weight loss) plus random (without regard to time since last meal) glucose concentration >200 mg/dl.
2. Fasting glucose >126 mg/dl/
3. Abnormal oral glucose tolerance test.

There is also a test that has nothing to do with the diagnosis of diabetes i.e. whether it is normal or abnormal is not a crieterion for the diagnosis of diabetes. This test is called hemoglobin a1c. It shows how well your body controlled blood sugar over the last 3 months, it might be useful.

Hopeful110670 - Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:38 am

Thank you Doctor and Theresa for the explanation of diabetes, it is very helpful. I will make sure to find out the correct diagnoses with my doctors on this subject and be retested if need be.

Just an update, I have called my doctors office and they are avoiding helping me. I called the last 2 days to try and get to see if the doctor would refer me to an infectious disease specialist I found locally.

Each time I call they assure me they are working on it. Well unfortunately there is nothing to be working on. Since my insurance changed I do not need a "referral" persae...but according to the specialist that I called directly, I do need the doctor to request I go there and give them my medical records.

It truly has been a nightmare these last 8 months dealing with my doctors office. As of Monday, I am having my husband pick up a copy of all my medical records and am taking them elsewhere. I am very very sick and cannot get a diagnoses. It just keeps getting worse. I have been shaking more lately, and my joints and sweating are getting worse. I literally feel like a "Mack" truck ran me over 2 days ago. I had done some very simple tasks around the house, laundry and putting away Christmas items" and woke up yesterday and could barely move. My left knee was so bad I could not put any weight on it. I feel I am getting sicker and sicker and feel like my life could literally be taken away from me at any given moment.

Sorry to be so graphic, it is I just have reached my breaking point. I am so frustrated and am getting more depressed as each day goes by. I finally lost it and cried last night to my husband....I try and be so strong everyday and I just do not have the strength anymore...it is so sad to feel this way and feel so helpless.

Alright, again thank you for listening, this board has been so helpful and so compassionate to me and has really gotten me through alot of tough times the last few weeks. You all should be commended for your helpfulness...!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:20 pm

User avatar Dear Ali,

Thank you very much for the update.

Even though every thing points out to an organic disease process, i still can feel that there is an element of depression and you have all the right to be depressed because of your suffering over the last 8 months, in addition to the resonsibilities of the new born. May be you should take it easier on yourself and stop blaming yourself for your suffering. There is no need to whip yourself.

Please, don't try to overwhelm yourself with work if you can not do it. i think your husband is going to be very understanding. If any of your family members is living around and can help, don't hesitate to contact them.

i don't think you even have to wait for an appointment to go to a doctor if you feel so sick, you can just go to the hospital and see whether or not they would consider admitting you.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Hopeful110670 - Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:37 pm

Hi Doctor:

Thank you for the concern of depression, however like you mentioned, the depression is from the frustration of 8 months of dealing with these symptoms and getting nowhere.

I agree I am very depressed over my situation but am not depressed as in the sense of manic depression or any of the other categories....

As far as going to the hospital, when I was there a month or so ago in extreme pain, they sent me right back to my doctors and said that she needed to do the follow up work for referrals or specialists. So unfortunately the hospital scenerio will not work. I am not sure if you misunderstood my earlier post, but I did not in anyway mean that I would take my own life or anything. I reread my post and thought perhaps this is how you might of understood it...I meant that this infection has taken over my daily life and it is almost impossible for me to be myself anymore. I used to jog and workout almost everyday and now I can barely make it out of bed and function at times.

I am very fortunate that my husband works and I am self employed that I can work my own hours, I could not imagine going to my previous job as a Paralegal on a daily basis.

Well again, thank you for your concern and I will keep you up to date on the transition of doctors...

Take care
 Hopeful110670 - Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:41 am

Hello:

I just wanted to give you all an update on what is going on with me. Well, I was smart and decided to switch doctors. I find a local doctor that I am impressed with so far. I had my initial consultation yesterday and made sure to bring all my test results and paperwork I had been keeping concerning my condition.

We had a very long talk and we decided to go in the direction of more blood work taken, including diabetes test and sed rate level test and a few other common tests. After he gets the results back of those, I will be referred out to a infectious disease specialist, if nothing comes back significant :D

He decided to switch me from prednisone to Naproxen. He stated that me taking prednisone would only worsen my symptoms of yeast and if I had diabetes would only worsen that condition as well.

So far the Naproxen is helping, but I do have a question, I noticed on the pamphlet that was given to me that stomach pain could be a side effect of the drug. He put me on 500mg and I have made sure to eat when taking the medicane. However, I have noticed I have been extremely naseaus since taking it. I am not 100% sure it is being caused by the drug or not. I guess I would need to take it longer to realize that the naseau is from the meds, I am just curious to know if this is a common side effect and if so, is this something I should report to my doctor and discontinue use? I thought for sure I was going to throw up last night before bed and this morning I am still feeling the same way. I had taken a total of 1000mg yesterday. Lastly, I have noticed, when I take these anti inflammatory drugs at first, I always seem to have a burning sensation at the areas of joint pain and inflammation, is this common as well? It eventually goes away, but it is quite uncomfortable at the beginning. I told my husband it almost feels like the drug is attacking the bad areas.

Thank you again for all of your help and support and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Take care
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:20 pm

User avatar Dear Ali,

Thank you very much for the update.

It is very important to have a doctor in which you have confidence and with which you can have a rapport and to whom you can ask any question at any time. A fruitful and productive doctor/patient relationship is the first step to pinning down the patient's problems and then treating them hopefully successfully.

i believe that stopping the prednisone is a step in the right direction. And i think that you should be referred to an infectious disease specialist regardless of the tests' results but i will leave this to you and your doctor to discuss and decide.

Naproxen can cause nausea. Take the naproxen always on a full stomach and never on an empty stomach because naproxen and the group of medications to which it belongs can harm your stomach real bad.

If the nausea still occurs when you take it on a full stomach, i think you should call your doctor so that he can decide according to your symptoms whether you need to be treated with just over the counter medications or a prescription medication to make the nausea go away.

Regarding the feeling that you feel in your joints, i don't have an answer for this one.

Hopeful110670 - Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:57 pm

Yes, I agree Doctor, it is very important to have good communication with your doctor and feel comfortable. Thank you for the information on the meds as well. I have still not been feeling good and have been nauseas with pretty bad headaches as well.

Honestly, I just started noticing these symptoms after the new meds so I believe this may be what is causing them. I am going to try and wait a few days and see if symptoms disappate and if so, I will assume it is the meds and will call my doctor to discuss new treatment options.

Well, the good news is I received a phone call this morning from a certain doctor to reschedule an appt for this coming Monday. I had never heard of the doctor so I look up on my notes the name of the infectious disease doctors I had listed and sure enough it is one of them on my list! I was really happy. My new doctors went ahead with the referral and I received my appt. I am extremely happy!

Again, thank you both for your helpfulness and wonderful advice. I will keep you posted on what is going on!

Take care!
 cooljazz - Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:24 am

Hi Hopeful110670,

I recognize some of the symptoms you've described because I've been struggling with some of the same things for about the last eight months. You may have the same thing I do. I went through several months of doctors telling me what I didn't have, but not being able to say what I did have. Extremely frustrating! Finally, through many hours of internet exploring and comparing lists of symptoms, I'm pretty sure I have a systemic Candida yeast overgrowth, and have found relief. Apparently, MDs are trained mainly to identify very specific sets of symptoms, but Candidiasis has a very wide variability of symptoms. And since Candida is normally present in everyone's digestive tract, it's hard to test for too. I had a lot of strange and seemingly unrelated symptoms. I especially identified with your description of the extreme fatigue. It was like nothing I'd ever felt before-- a very strong 'near death' feeling.

The most useful thing I've found so far is drastic change in my diet. And of those changes, absolutely THE MOST EFFECTIVE thing I've done is to eliminate sugars from my diet (because yeast loves sugar). All sugars-- including honey, corn sweeteners, even fruit. Check the nutrition labels on everything you buy and try to stay below 8 grams of sugar per day. I also reduced other carbs too. I've eliminated all dairy too, but some people may not need to do that. After just a few days of this I felt tremendous relief of symptoms, and as the yeast died off I kept feeling better and better. There are other dietary things and supplements you should do too, so if you need more info, let me know, or websurf-- there's lots out there.

I'm not completely cured though, because if I'm not very careful about what I eat, the symptoms come back (and I do want to eat sweets again someday!). But I AM feeling much better and pretty much back to normal most of the time. Some websites say if you're very careful about staying on an anti-Candida diet for about 3 to 6 months, you can kick it completely. Others say just go ahead and kill all the yeast with some drug like Diflucan. I still haven't decided which of those two options I'm going to do.

I also tried a product called ParaGone. It is effective at killing off the yeast and relieving symptoms, but it wasn't a complete cure for me either, and during its one month treatment period, it caused some unpleasant side effects.

Good Luck!
 missmoo - Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:43 am

I have PM'd many people on this issue.... thanks Cooljazz for pointing out what is clearly to me Intestinal candidiasis for a start.... I too have it.

I also control mine by eliminating all the obvious sugars I can (don't forget sodas, and ANYTHING that comes in a package, you would be surprised). Substitute sweetness with Splenda, not the other crap like aspartame.

I also take 5 Yeast Fighters by Twinlab every day, and NSI Olive Leaf Extract (cheapest price for both is vitacost.com) and this helps no end with the yeast battle.

Eat fresh garlic with everything you can. Ditch the Pill, antibiotics, prednisone/steroids and if you can alcohol and dairy. Hard isn't it? But worth it for your life back?? I think so :)

After suffereing this for 10+ years I feel a hundred times better, that does not mean I am cured but it's under control.

Candidiasis can also present such symptoms as
depression
muscle aches
chronic fatigue
general decreased energy levels/lethargy
poor memory

I was wrongly diagnosed with depression for FOUR YEARS and medicated for it.

Purchase ANY book on yeast by Willam G Crook - try amazon, 2nd hand copies start at $1.50

Hope this helps all you yeast sufferers who don't realise they have it. The books have a good diagnostic questionnaire.

|