Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Dormant STD's?

joejooper - Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:48 pm

I have been tested for HIV, twice on my own request and once due to a life insurance policy over the last 5 years. All three test came back negative. I show no signs/symptoms of an infection (started abstaining from sexual intercourse 7 years ago until present, while my last incident of oral sex was more than a year ago - administered by both parties). Since then my life has changed for the better and I am not involved in any sexual activities anymore, not until I get married.

My question: Are there any STD's/infections that can be dormant in your system without you knowing it, without any symptoms, that can resurface at a later stage? If so, which ones and what tests are needed? I would like to have all the relevant tests done as soon as possible in order to rule out any possible chances of having an infection coming back to haunt me at a later stage - I want to take other people into consideration. I don't have any reason to worry, but would like to make 100% that I can go into a marriage 100% infection free and clean.

Your advise and expertise would be much appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:56 pm

With this time frame and history of negative testing, you can be quite confident. Most "windows" where the infection is incubating are up to six months. You haven't mentioned if you have ever had an outbreak of herpes. This is one infection that can remain dormant in your body but typically there is an initial outbreak so you probably know if you had it. You have taken a wise course in abstaining while making certain you are clear of disease before a long-term commitment.

You should be sure you are also having annual pelvic exams to be sure you don't develop HPV infection, which can result in genital warts as well as cervical cancer. Responsible sexual behavior as you have exhibited these past seven years will definitely improve your odds for a good foundation in marriage.

joejooper - Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:56 am

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it very much. I don't think I had an outbreak of herpes - what are the signs/symptoms? I once had what looked like a sebaceous cyst on the shaft of my penis for a very short period, while being sexual active, but this was seven years ago. It has never surfaced again since then.

Also - are annual pelvic exams and cervical cancer applicable to males?

Regards

Joejooper
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:53 pm

User avatar Oops, sorry, why did I think you were female??? Careless in not checking your history. You gave me a good laugh as I'm sure I gave you.

Men do not get HPV testing even though they can get genital warts if they are exposed to HPV from their partner.

The cyst you had is probably not a sign of herpes. Male herpes symptoms usually begin with an itching or tingling sensation in the genital location. Following this first warning sign, the area may become swollen with red bumps on the penis, or surrounding area. These turn to blisters, and then open sores. The healing process begins once these open sores begin to scab over.

Other less identifiable symptoms can be burning during urination, swollen lymph nodes in the groin area, constipation, lack of energy, fever and headache.

Good luck to you.
 hppavillion - Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:22 pm

i got little bumps on the tip of my penis but they have never bursted and i never have white liquid and they don't but and irratate me and i have only done stuff with 1 girl befor and its my last girl friend of 2 years and she didint have herpes so could it be somthing else ??
 hppavillion - Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:23 am

I think i might have herpes but iv only done stuff with 2 girls befor and one i was dating for 2 years the other one was a one night thing and i know who it is. but herpes normally u get blisteers and i don't i just got little bumps and iv never had a outbreak
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:38 pm

The only way to know is to have a test for sexually transmitted infections. It's a good idea when you are sexually active to periodically test for these so I would suggest seeing your doctor. It may be something totally unrelated but peace of mind is worth a lot.

napoleon99 - Sun May 17, 2009 2:52 am

Hello. I had unprotected sex almost 8 months ago. Three days after having sex, i noticed an unusual discomfort in the penile area, followed by frequent need to urinate (usually very little amounts). The discomfort was an unexplainable sensation on the left side of my penis (towards the tip) and had somewhat of a dull pain, nothing severe as far as pain goes. The feeling went away after about a month but then there was an unexplainable red bump immediately left of my penis opening. It started off as a small red bump (1-2 mm) with no opening. It remained as such for a little while (another month) before i started to mess around with it. It didnt look like a typical blister or a herpes blister, but when I put some pressure on it, clear fluid gushed out. After the clear fluid, a very small amount of blood followed before the bump scabbed over. Its been about 5 months since the initial gush out and scabbing, but the sore is still visible on the exact same spot. It never went away and its still remains the exact same size and shape (like doughnut), and still has clear fluid coming out (albeit very little amounts/no gushing--more like a pin droplet just at the opening with no blood). From time to time, i notice the same sensation in the same penile area as i had talked about earlier. Other symptoms I'm noticing NOW (starting about the 7 month point) is the fact that I feel extremely tired during the days, and a mild feverish fatigue like symptom in evenings (starts usually around 5 pm). It feels like a fever, but my temperature is normal. I now have a persistent mild sore throat, and an uncharacteristically white coated tongue (striated and quite visible towards the back of my tongue). Three weeks ago, I had a slight fever with chills and cold sweats before going to bed (I woke up drenched in sweat). No swollen lymph nodes. Two weeks ago, my right index finger started to itch and without noticing anything i started to scratch at it while watching TV. I came to realize that what started as just red itchy eczema like symptom quickly turned into a grouping of tiny fluid filled blisters. It popped and then its seemed to heal very quickly without any further issues. This week I started to have mild diarhea (past 5 days) Can anyone please provide some insight on this matter? Could it be primary HIV infection symptoms? Do you always have swollen lymph nodes if you're infected with HIV? Does the sore I described sound like HSV-2? Thank you so very much for your time and help. God Bless.
 luckylucky - Fri May 22, 2009 11:52 am

hi,
i was actually masturbating and possibly cut my penis against my zip. there was a cut and little bleeding, by evening i have cold ....is it possible that i could have been infected with STD or AIDS , just asking to be on a safer side? i am a virgin and never engaged in sexual activity.
thank you,
waiting to hear from you.

|