News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: How long can Mono last?

mosey2 - Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:09 pm

I contracted mono when I was 18 and recovered in less than a month. I am now 56 and was diagnosed with mono 14 months ago. EBV titers were at 387 then. I spent a month in bed and have been fatigued ever since. I felt a little better after about 6 months but in the last 8 weeks, I seem to be worse. I had a new EVB test and my titers are now 280. I had multiple other test (fatigue panel, autoimmune panel, TB test, and chest X-ray), all negative. Am I still recovering from the first bout? Did I recover and now have it again? What can I do to fully recover – how long will this take? Am I contagious? I am tired of being tired.

I posted this yesterday, but in checking back,it appears i did something wrong. I am sorry if I am double-posting but when I click on "veiw your posts" there is nothing there - even under unanswered post? .. confusing
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:54 am

User avatar Hello,
It is possible you are still having lingering symptoms, which often last for weeks. Mononucleosis can take a long time to resolve and it's important you get adequate rest so your body can heal. You do not need to be quarantined during this time, however. If your immune system is not compromised from medications, cancer or other problems, you should recover. While resting, you should not do strenuous activities and since the liver can be effected, you should not use alcohol or risk trauma to the liver or spleen. Report any sudden, severe abdominal pain.

I'm glad you have been checked for secondary infections that can complicate this disease. Good luck in your recovery.

Best wishes.
 mosey2 - Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:17 pm

Thank you for your response. It matches all the information I have "googled" lately. However, you and the rest of the literature I have read talk about recovery in weeks and months - I am now headed towards two years. I did rest - one solid month in bed with absoultly no activity, and I was on steriods. After 4 full weeks in bed, I returned to work on half schedule, and dropped all other activities. I kept this up for 4 months. During this time I rested or slept 10-14 hours a day - all the time I was not at work. After 6 months, I returned to some activity but still limited. I did start to feel better for a few months, but in the last two months have had a return of the extreme exaustion I had felt a year earlier. I have a standing doctor's apointment every 6 weeks and am closely watched. My physician won't give me any time frame. I was hoping to find someone who can give me a timeline or let me know how unusual this protracted recovery might be. I need a light at the end of the tunnel. I want off the coach and back into my lilfe. Any suggestions besides rest? Or, at least a time estimate. Again, thank you for the response.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here