News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: grape-sized non-painful lump in groin area

zingy - Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:54 pm

my man had a lump about 7 days ago near the crease where the thigh meets the groin, about the size of a raisen, on one side of his body.
today it has grown to about 4-5 times it's size. it is not painful.

his testes are small, and one often hides up above. can't remember which side the lump and the hiding testes is on. i can bring the hiding testes down to hang like normal "balls" if i finger it down from outside his body near his lower pubic hair area. however, this may not be important. it doesn't cause him any discomfort, i guess.

he hasn't been wearing his brief underwear for the last 2-3 weeks to help clean up the rashes he sometimes gets bilaterally in the crotch area.

about a week ago he had anal sex with me, for quite a while, and it was mooshey up there. he did urinate asap after he orgasmed.

he has smoked for years and years; i can hear his bad lungs, and he's been coughing often the last months.
occasionally he has real bloody diarhhea for a week or so at a time (so he tells me).

it's difficult getting him to a doctor, so i'm hoping this may help. it's difficult to get any info from him, but this lump deal he did tell me about.

we have some cipro, and he's going to take one pill every 8 hours, 3 pills total, and see if that reduces the size of the lump.

i'm thinking it may be a swollen lymph node, and with the anti-biotic it may go away if it is an infection from the anal sex.

he's 50 y/o, smokes a carton of cigs every two days, drinks too much but doesn't get drunk, works too hard in the construction labor field, 7 days a week for weeks on end, sometimes 12 hours a day. not exposed to fumes or chemicals with work.

any other ideas or suggestions? i hate to think of cancer stuff.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:37 pm

User avatar Hello -

Since he has already an abnormality suggesting a hernia possibly due to earlier undescended testicle, or perhaps simply one which allows the "hiding" testicle to slip up through the inquinal girlde, and now has a lump which has turned into a bulge (4-5 times the initial size suggests something is living there), I strongly suggest he be checked for inquinal hernia. This might require a simple, minimally invasive repair, but can save a lot of pain and grief down the road.

Also,while the antibiotic probably won't do any harm and may serve a prophylactic purpose, I cannot (needless to say) endorse self-treatment, let alone self-diagnosis, let alone sharing of prescription drugs. Enough said on that subject.

The real concern is possible inguinal hernia, which does need to be ruled out (or in) fairly urgently. I hope he'll get this done at once. Best of luck to the both of you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here