Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Glandular Fever, the best way to avoid catching it?

sgtlion - Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:05 pm

Kinda scared. My stepdad has left to see his brother who has glandular fever, though it's in it's incubation stage so it's less likely he'll catch it it's symptoms look horribly painful, so I'd like to avoid it. It's inevitable that he'll get back home, so if he has it, is there anything I can do to ease/attempt to avoid it? I have a couple days before he's back, but I generally eat very healthily.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:29 pm

Good handwashing can go a long way to avoid disease transmission. Your brother and all household members should practice good hygiene, not share food or drinks from the same container, toothbrushes, washcloths or towels. Sharing saliva or mucus is the route of infection.

This is commonly called mononeucleosis or "kissing disease" (because of the saliva sharing) and it is caused by the epstein-barr virus. It most often affects young people - teens to young adults. Your body must fight it alone since it is viral in nature. In most people this means 2 to 4 weeks until their body clears it. Some cases are more persistent.

Chances are with good sense, you will be able to avoid this.

|