News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Glandular Fever, the best way to avoid catching it?

sgtlion - Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:05 pm

Kinda scared. My stepdad has left to see his brother who has glandular fever, though it's in it's incubation stage so it's less likely he'll catch it it's symptoms look horribly painful, so I'd like to avoid it. It's inevitable that he'll get back home, so if he has it, is there anything I can do to ease/attempt to avoid it? I have a couple days before he's back, but I generally eat very healthily.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:29 pm

User avatar Hello,
Good handwashing can go a long way to avoid disease transmission. Your brother and all household members should practice good hygiene, not share food or drinks from the same container, toothbrushes, washcloths or towels. Sharing saliva or mucus is the route of infection.

This is commonly called mononeucleosis or "kissing disease" (because of the saliva sharing) and it is caused by the epstein-barr virus. It most often affects young people - teens to young adults. Your body must fight it alone since it is viral in nature. In most people this means 2 to 4 weeks until their body clears it. Some cases are more persistent.

Chances are with good sense, you will be able to avoid this.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here