Forum Name: Other infections

Question: sore tailbone with bleeding in the crack of buttocks.

styron1796 - Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:13 pm

Yesterday I noticed my tailbone area was sore when I sat down. I did not remember hurting it, so I just thought I must have been sitting leaning back on that part of my butt too long, so I wasn't too worried. But today it was even more sore, and when I went to the restroom there was blood on the toilet paper. It was not from my anus, it was coming from a very small hole or tear at the very top of my crack, right in the center. It is right on top of my tailbone. This has me really worried. I have not hurt the area in any way. It was not just a spot of blood on the toilet paper, it was enough that it had actually dripped into the toilet also. please let me know if this could be serious or if I should just keep it clean and it will heal on its own.

Thank you,
Angela
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:56 pm

It is possible you could just have this skin response to dryness. It can happen without trauma or infection and will heal unassisted. You could use a little antibacterial ointment if you wish. Be gentle with the area to allow healing.

southcarolina - Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:40 pm

I had the same symptoms a few years ago. The pain in my tailbone was so severe that I thought that I had broken my tailbone during a soccer game. I went to the doctor after a day of pain and they discovered a pilonidal cyst, which he drained, and then cleaned the area and packed it with gauze. The pain was gone as soon as the cyst was drained. The cyst has an "airhole" (sorry for my lack of medical terminology) that is right above the anus and serves as a drainage point for the cyst. I suggest going to the doctor. A local urgent care facility should be able to diagnose if this is the cause of your pain. Hope this helps.

|