News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: My boyfriend has syphilis and I don't. Why is this??

MrzDiaz08 - Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:24 pm

I have recently been tested for syphilis and my test came back negative for it. When my boyfriend was tested a few weeks after me his came back positive for it so I got a test done again to see if it was there. My second test came back negative.So my question is since my boyfriend and have been in a monogamous relationship and have not been using any protection during sex for over a year, how is it that his test is coming back positive for syphilis and mine came back negative both times? Please explain this to me if you can.

Thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:42 pm

User avatar Hello,
Not everyone who is exposed to a disease actually gets it. If he did not have a sore to secrete infection and your immune system has been strong enough to fight infection, it is possible to dodge the bullet. It sounds like you have been fortunate. But, in an ongoing relationship, it is still possible for you to test positive if he has just recently been diagnosed. Some people don't show symptoms until 90 days after exposure, though it is more typically 21 days. If he is treated and you remain negative, count yourself very lucky.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here