Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: HPV and the Vaccine

muon - Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:16 pm

I was just diagnosed with HPV and Genital Warts. I want to know if the HPV vaccine would have prevented Genital Warts. I am 25 and I read somewhere that one can receive the vaccine up until the age of 26. If this is the case would getting the vaccine be a feasible idea? Would it help deter the Genital Warts from reappearing?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:46 pm

We cannot say if the vaccine would have definitely prevented the warts because there are about 30 strains of HPV and the vaccine covers the four that are the most dangerous. It would depend on whether or not your strain is one that was included in the vaccine. While getting the vaccine now would not help your current infection, it is possible it could guard against future ones. There is still much we don't know about this and we will learn as time goes on with more and more women receiving the vaccine. There is some indication protection from this vaccine may even go beyond the four strains it was designed for. You should discuss the options with your provider.

|