News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: Very nervous. How much risk am I in for hiv?

emagdnim1 - Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:09 am

I (male) recently had protected heterosexual vaginal sex with someone who I would put in a high risk for hiv category. After I pulled out there was blood on my condom. It wasn't covered or dripping with blood but It wasn't just a little speck either. It was on a good portion of the condom. I immediately went to a sink and washed all the blood of with water (and I think soap but I'm not sure) After washing the condom off I took it off and washed my bare penis with soap and water. The condom never ripped and I have no visible cuts on my penis or hands aside from maybe cuticles on my fingers.

This was about a week ago and it has completely consumed my thoughts since then but Its too early to get accurately tested so I cant do anything about it. I'm so scared. What are the realistic odds that I contracted hiv.

Also what is the accuracy of the instant or most accurate test at one month and is it even worth getting test weeks after?

Thankyou
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:30 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would say the risk is not great since you did use a condom. Of course if she truly was infected; not just at high risk, your risk would be greater too. But condoms are quite effective at reducing risk so blood on the outside of the condom would not be too risky for you. It is in the exchange of deep body fluids that infection occurs. You need to be tested three months after exposure and some prefer to follow up with a test at six months as well since sometimes it takes that long. Typically, if you're "clean" at three months you can mostly relax. Of course you will have this stress anytime you have sex with someone at risk for HIV so be careful.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here