Forum Name: Other infections

Question: My Girlfriend Had bacterial Meningitis, What Are the Risks

joss - Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:13 pm

My girlfriend had viral meningitis and was on a drip for a week. I am worried that when i kiss her or commit any other acts of close contact with her i.e. oral sex and sex, that i may be at risk. Please could you tell me any risks i may face from this. thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:33 pm

Your risk is quite minimal. The virus that causes this is present in many people at any given time. It is just your girlfriend's bad luck that her exposure to the virus resulted in meningitis. This means that the virus spread to the meninges, surrounding the brain. Another person (even you) could have the virus and have no symptoms at all, or perhaps a slight infection such as a cold. Of course you don't want to spread any viral infection so caution is always wise, but chances are your own immune system will protect you.

There are meningitis vaccines available that help reduce the odds of some strains of meningitis.

|