Forum Name: Other infections

Question: tetanus vaccination 48 hours after an injury?

sanny27 - Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:21 am

I had a minor head injury (2-3cm long cut) exactly two days ago. The wound is almost totally healed, but I am wondering if I should get vaccinated against tetanus. I know for sure that I got a DTP vaccine approx. 10 years ago, but on the other hand, I am not sure I have been properly immunized against tetanus as a child.
Does it make any sense to obtain a tetanus immunization (passive and active) 48 hours after the injury???

Thank you very much in advance for your response!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Yes, it does make sense because this boosts the immunity that is latent in your body from the previous vaccine (DPT) and it kick starts the protection in case it is needed due to infection from the wound. You should repeat the booster every ten years so it is time for you and you should definitely get it now, even beyond the 48 hours.

|