News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: How does one break free of 'Boomerang 'Flu'?

stitchingfan - Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:21 am

38 year old female from the UK. Suffered a moderate burn-out in autumn 2007 (still rather run down and 'delicate'), no other significant history.

I've been ill with 'flu almost incessantly all this year so far. It last the usual 2+ weeks, then I'm tired for a week or more, but still with some infection signs. It usually breaks out again within a couple more weeks. I'm running out of ideas on how to break free of it. Any help you can offer me? Thanks in advance.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri May 15, 2009 9:16 pm

User avatar Hello --

You're having symptoms of a recurrent viral infection. Either you've contracted one of the persistent, slow-to-leave viruses like mononucleosis/Epstein-Barr, or your immune system has been compromised (by burnout perhaps -- stress can do this) and the only way to be certian which it is would be to have the appropriate blood tests to rule out mono/EB virus. If neither of these is present then you may have a stress-related adrenal exhaustion with concomitant immunity compromise, which often will respond to the same measures as mono, which are rest, special care to insure good nutrition, and sometimes megavitamin therapy, even though this last is not medically recognized generally. But first you have to determine if it is a single virus or some underlying disorder that's compromising your immunity. There are a number of these,mostly autoimmune diseases, and sometimes they, too, can be triggered by prolonged stress.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you with this and please follow up with us here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here